rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Any Well-Illustrated Books About The Colonial Irregulars ?
Coll

Are there any titles dealing solely with the Colonial Irregular Units during the Anglo-Zulu War 1879 ? (not Osprey)

Thanks

Coll
Dawn

Osprey is the only one I know about, Coll.

By the way, nice to see you back on the forum.

Dawn
Coll

Dawn

Yes. I did ask a similar question a while back on the old forum, about the Colonial Volunteers, being the Natal Carbineers and Natal Mounted Police, for which there are a couple of books - more their histories.

I hoped, due perhaps to Buller's leadership of the Colonial Irregulars and other interesting individuals like Raaf(?), that possibly a book about them during the Anglo-Zulu War 1879 was available. It might be more likely they are covered in a book mainly about Buller, which covers his participation in the war.

They just seem very interesting groups of fighting men, that it would be great to know more about all their units - organisation, weaponry, uniforms, etc.

Coll
mike snook 2

Coll

May I echo Dawn's sentiments and say that it is a great pleasure to see you back. I was getting worried.

I can't think of anything along the lines you are after Coll, save the obvious Osprey. I did see an intersting SAHMS article on volunteer units in the 9th CF War, which might be of some interest. If you search Cape Frontier Wars you should find it alright. If you don't, let me know and I'll look up the web address. I rpinted it off, so have it around somewhere.

As ever

Mike
Coll

Thanks Mike

I've just seen the following title mentioned in the book reviews of this site, reprinted by D.P.& G. Publishers - 'With The Irregulars in Transvaal and Zululand'. by Tomasson, W.H. (London 1881)

Don't know much about its contents though.

Coll
mike snook 2

Nor I, I'm afraid.

M
Peter Quantrill

Coll,
Welcome back. D P &G have published a couple of books that may help, but "With the Irregulars in Transvaal and Zululand " is a must. Captain William Hugh Tomasson was Adjutant of Baker's Horse and gives an excellent insight into the Irregulars. (See ZV2.)
Another excellent read is "Running the Gauntlet" by George Mossop who served with the Frontier Light Horse. This has been published locally by Gordon Button, whose Grandmother was Anne Mossop.
And of course Ron Lock's '"Blood on the Painted Mountain" gives an excellent insight to the Irregulars. Unfortunately it is now out of print.
Martin Everett

Coll,

There is also Sergeant Major F W Cheffins (Raaff's Rangers) diary. Published as a limited edition (of 50) in Pretoria in 2001.

Coll

Peter and Martin

Thanks for the detailed information.

Could I just confirm that European N.C.O.s from disbanded native units were then formed into their own irregular mounted unit called the Natal Horse ?

Would these N.C.O.s have been from the N.N.H., N.N.C., or both ?

Thankyou

Coll
John Young

Coll,

Good to see you back, by the way!

I'm stuck in northern Greece at present, close to a well-known ancient battlesite, so away from my research material, but I can confirm a number of N.N.C. n.c.o.'s joined the three troops of the Natal Horse. No.3 Troop, commanded by Claude Bettington included men who had served at Rorke's Drift shortly after the battle; Le Tocq springs to mind as he assisted on the ponts at the Drift.

Lonsdale's Horse also included N.N.C. officers & o/r's.

John Y.
Any Well-Illustrated Books About The Colonial Irregulars ?