rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Are These Shotguns ?
Coll

In a well-known image of Prince Dabulamanzi and some indunas, they all have firearms. However, the Prince and the 2 indunas standing either side of him look to have double-barrelled shotguns, rather than flintlocks.

Are they indeed shotguns ?

Thanks

Coll
AlanTB

I've not seen the picture in question but I would hazard a guess that the rifles are large calibre hunting rifles that break and load like a shotgun but fire a solid bullet. A lot of hunting/adventure films set in Africa have them, 'King Soloman's Mines' is a good example. I know that shot guns were used in the Boer War as these were privately owned weapons. I hope that this at least opens up the debate for you.
Alan

Alan

Thanks for your reply. I should have gave page numbers from the different books that I've seen the photograph in.

The way the picture looks, it is almost as if the 3 main Zulus, which includes the Prince, have these 'shotguns' as part of their status, whereas those sitting have what appears to be older model flintlocks.

I have read that the Zulus obtained a lot of sporting firearms, which may have included shotguns. The Prince has been mentioned as being a good shot.

I've just recalled reading about an incident during the flight down Fugitives' Trail, where a survivor, seeing a Zulu ahead of him raising a shotgun, lowers himself down in the saddle to be less of a target, only for the armed Zulu to fire 2 shots, which either wounded or killed both of the pursuing warriors instead. Apparently, he was a 'friendly'.

However, I can't confirm if this really happened, but if it did, it would prove shotguns were around and in Zulu hands.

Coll
Are These Shotguns ?