rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Zulu right horn at Isandhlwana
catramble

I know that there has been a lot of discussion about the collapse of the firing line and Durnford's withdrawal, but if the line had not collapsed when it did and the imperial companies had made a safe withdrawal, would they have been able to make an adequate defence against an attack by the Zulu right horn from the nek. Is there any evidence that much thought was given to an attack from that direction after the battle had commenced

A few weeks ago, on another thread, I raised the question of what could have happened if Durnford had stayed in camp. I postulated that perhaps he might have been able to recognise the 'horn' formation and arrange a defence accordingly. I still don't know whether this would have saved the camp as I don't think the camp was defendable.

The way the lines were formed to the left of the camp makes me believe that Pulleine thought the main attack was coming from that direction and had not given much, if any, thought to the impi's coming around the back of Isandlwana. This in spite of known intelligence prior to the Zululand campaign.

I've yet to receive Mike's book and I'm looking forward to reading what he says about this part of the battle. Julian, don't you dare spoil it for me!

Dawn
Julian whybra

Dawn. my lips are sealed...for the moment.
Dawn

Thanks, Julian

My copy has been delayed because I'm waiting for Zulu Vanquished to come at the same time to save on the international postage.

Dawn
Zulu right horn at Isandhlwana