rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Not A Lot of People Know This.
TonyJones

Dear forum members,
anybody that has access to Sky satellite should look out for a 'filler' item between films on TCM 2,that features an interview with Sir Michael Caine.The filler is unsheduled but has appeared after 'Alfie' .He spends some time in converstaion about the role he played as Lt Bromhead in the film Zulu.This is a rare treat because an article recently featured in 'Weekly News' revealed how he was reluctant to discuss his involvement in the film.Enjoy if you can catch it.

Tony.
Barbara Grant

Tony,

I can't catch it, as I don't have access to British TV. Might you provide some details, perhaps without "spoilers"?

I don't want to spoil the interview for those who do have access, but I am curious. I've read several interviews in various magazines with Michael Caine, but I've not seen him mention his role in "Zulu," which, arguably, launched his career many years ago.

Barbara
Sheldon Hall

Tony, could you let me have the details of the Weekly News article (date, etc) which reveals his reluctance to discuss the film? I've seen him talk about it several times on TV but he resisted all entreaties to be interviewed for my book. I'd be interested to know why.
Thanks, Sheldon
Reluctant Hero.
TonyJones

Dear Sheldon,
hello,nice to hear from you.I must admit,that although I didn't state explicity,that the Weekly News article involved quotes from yourself,about the reluctance of Sir Michael Caine to discuss his role in the film,I was rather hoping that it would illicit a response from you.
The article was featured in the Weekly News on November 18th 2006 (page 37).If you have trouble getting hold of the article,let me know and I will e-mail a scan to you.
When I saw this interview on TCM 2,I immediately thought back to the Weekly News article and seemed surprised,that,contrary to the silence that
you encountered,Sir Michael talked quite openly and freely about his role,
without any sort of prompt.He seemed to drift into it whilst he discussed the theme of 'east-end gangsters'
The interview on TCM 2 was conducted in Paris,so there may be a clue there as to Sir Michael's presence in the city and his purpose.There's short clips in the interview from Zulu.
I was alerted to the Weekly News article by Gorton Historian Sid Riley (a 593 relative).Sid phoned me to tell me about how astonished he was at this
reluctance.
I mentioned that the interview was unsheduled,but I intend to search the 'i' listings on the Sky programme guide,to see if I can catch it listed as an 'addition' to one of his films.Failing that,I will e-mail TCM 2,as I would very much like to record this unexpected 'gem'.All the best.

Tony.
Watch This Space.
TonyJones

Dear Barbara,
I will get back to you all when I have contacted TCM 2 or managed to locate the next showing of this half-hour interview.The programme is excellent,to say the least.

Tony.
Programme Schedule.
TonyJones

Dear All,
I've just checked the Sky programme guide for the next week.TCM 2s schedule is fairly limited.There's no listing for this interview up until Sunday 24th June,but the programme,Michael Caine:'Off Set',
appears in the programme guide as a scheduled separate programme from the 'tag-on' that I saw.The interview will be shown again at 02.30 hrs,Tuesday 26th June,and appears twenty-four hours later in the schedule,which means it will probably be repeated for every weekday for the week 26th June until 2nd July.The Sky programme guide is a seven-day listing so currently only has programmes listed up until next Tuesday.Beware that these channels tend to change their times and schedules,so I will check the schedule again at the end of this week.
I have already set my recorder to capture this programme,as I don't want to miss a repeat of this one.

Tony.
Sheldon Hall

Blimey, that Weekly News article took a long time to appear! I recall being interviewed for it in 2005. I would very much like to see a copy, so a scan via email would be most appreciated.
Thanks, Sheldon
Yesterday's News.
TonyJones

Dear Sheldon,
same happened with the 593 article.They contacted Sid Riley all enthusiastic and wanted this and that information and said it would be in the newspaper within a couple of weeks.Six weeks went by and nothing.Sid rang them and they said that they had just featured the article
we are discussing here so they needed a gap.I suppose we were lucky in that it only took months instead of years.I may have to photocopy the article,as it is a bit big for the scanner.Either way I will ensure you will get a copy.

Tony.
Not A Lot of People Know This.