rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Last Man Standing Series - Zulu Stick Fighting
Coll

If anyone is interested, the second part of this series on July 3rd BBC3 at 9pm, covers the challenge of Zulu stick fighting.

Coll
Coll

Did anyone watch it ?

It may be many years since 1879, but judging by the Zulus and their stick fighting in this programme, they haven't lost their ability for speed and agility.

If this is just training for warriors, it makes you realise they must have been a force to be reckoned with, when faced with thousands, armed with shield and assegai when they closed in for the kill.

Coll
mike snook 2

Coll

Yes, I watched it. Good wasn't it. I thought the lads were going to lose face in a pretty big way at one point but they did well in the end (apart from the one cissy!).

As ever

Mike
Haydn Jones

Yes, Coll, thanks to your initial posting I managed to catch it too. Interesting, although the cynic in me thought it just as well "our boys" didn't get put into hospital for 3 months otherwise the rest of the series would have been stuffed. Great, great scenery though. I came over all wistful!
I once had a stick fight with a Zulu, you know. Oh yes I did! Admittedly it was only a demo type thing, and nowhere near the same intensity as in last night's programme, but my opponent shoved a shield in my right hand and a stick in my left. Before I could protest I was the "wrong way round" it all kicked off! Of course, my "dinner party" version is that I chose to fight left handed in order to to give my opponent a chance......(yeah, right... Laughing ). Oh, I lost by the way Wink .

Anyway, enough from me. Genuine thanks again for flagging the programme up Coll. I'm back in training so I'm off for a dose of brake fluid and rotting vegetables ..........
Last Man Standing Series - Zulu Stick Fighting