rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
99th Regiment of Foot Badges question
NTaylor

I have a few questions on the 99th regiment of foot's badges in 1879.

Firstly, the shako plate I presume is of the same design as that of the 24th, except with a 99 in the centre instead of the 24?

Secondly, the collar dogs. I wonder, does anyone have any photographs or drawings which show these in detail that they can share with me? I have read that it is a horn with two A's at either side. Is this correct?

Lastly, the locket buckle for the belt. Again, does anyone have a picture of this item? I am presuming that it has the 99 in the centre, with 'Duke of Edinburgh's Regiment' or similar on the outer.

I must explain that I am a modeller of 1/6th scale figures, and am hoping to convert a Dragon Models Sgt Jones into a soldier of the 99th at the start of the invasion of Zululand. So far all the information I have on their badges is a photo of a glengarry badge of the 99th which I found on the net. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Martin Everett

Why do you not ask the regimental museum in Salisbury?

To find any army museum
www.armymuseums.org.uk

Officer's belt was within 'Duke of Edinburgh's Regiment' a crown with 99 beneath. This was introduced on the change of name in 1874.

That's the best I can do - I have to say 'Collar Dogs' is a very American slang term.

NTaylor

Martin Everett wrote:

That's the best I can do - I have to say 'Collar Dogs' is a very American slang term.

Thanks for your help. I must say that I've always known them as collar dogs; what would be the proper British term for them?

Re: 99th Regiment of Foot Badges question
Mikey29211

NTaylor wrote:
I have a few questions on the 99th regiment of foot's badges in 1879.

Firstly, the shako plate I presume is of the same design as that of the 24th, except with a 99 in the centre instead of the 24?

Secondly, the collar dogs. I wonder, does anyone have any photographs or drawings which show these in detail that they can share with me? I have read that it is a horn with two A's at either side. Is this correct?

Lastly, the locket buckle for the belt. Again, does anyone have a picture of this item? I am presuming that it has the 99 in the centre, with 'Duke of Edinburgh's Regiment' or similar on the outer.

I must explain that I am a modeller of 1/6th scale figures, and am hoping to convert a Dragon Models Sgt Jones into a soldier of the 99th at the start of the invasion of Zululand. So far all the information I have on their badges is a photo of a glengarry badge of the 99th which I found on the net. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

I got these a few weeks ago

Mikey
99th Regiment of Foot Badges question