rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Zulu Vanquished
David Glynne Fox

I have just purchased my copy of Ron Lock's and Peter Quantrill's Zulu Vanquished. As I have only just purchased it, I have not had the time to read it in full, but already, it has proven it's weight in gold to me.

Earlier this year, Tim Day and Ian Woodason of the Keynsham Light Horse (KLH) (see website) furnished me with details to try and locate the grave of Captain Norman Magnus MacLeod, Zulu War participant. No, I'd never heard of him either, but the KLH are quite something when it comes to researching participants of this fascinating campaign. Suffice it to say that after an arduous search of the small cemetery at Kilmuir, near Dunvegan on the Isle of Skye, western Scotland, I eventually discovered his grave, marked by a Celtic cross inside the ruined church.

Now, my point is, since my return from this venture, I had been unable to find out anything about MacLeod. The information board in the church grounds states that he was 26th clan chief of the MacLeod's, so I expected to find out something about his Zulu War activity from my extensive Zulu War library. Nothing doing. I can also find nothing concerning his South Africa Campaign Medal entitlement from the medal roll. He doesn't seem to be mentioned. I have checked the Scottish regiments and the staff records in the roll carefully, but he doesn't appear to be there. True, I could have missed him, but the best news so far is the purchase of the aforementioned book, where MacLeod is mentioned several times and a picture of him in his wonderful clan regalia is published in the photo section. I also learned that it was he who negotiated Prince Hamu kaMpande's defection to the British side. He was also a politacal officer working with No. 4 Column under Evelyn Wood VC. There are other snippets and sections printed from Letters written by MacLeod to no lesser personage than Sir Bartle Frere himself.

It is not often that a new book on this campaign exposes hitherto unknown (to me anyway) facts such as this.

Thank you Ron and Peter, you have been most helpful. Now, to sit down and digest the rest of the book..............
Regards
David

Melanie

Just found this as well,

Norman Magnus was born on 27th July 1839 and was educated at Harrow. Adopting the Army as a career, he obtained a Commission in the 74th Highlanders in 1858 and joined his Regiment in India. He served as aide de camp to General Sir Hope Grant, Commander in Chief in the Presidency of Madras from 1862 to 1865. Retiring from the Army as Captain in 1872, he went to Natal where he held various appointments and at this time made a trip into the interior of Africa, in the course of which he paid a visit to the Victoria Falls and took part in big game hunting, trophies of which adorn the Hall at Dunvegan Castle. On the outbreak of the Zulu War in 1878, he was appointed Political Agent on the Transvaal border and, in the following year, accepted the command of the Zulu Army, numbering 8,000 men, and so distinguished himself in that post that he was awarded the Zulu War Medal and the honour of the C.M.G. Norman Magnus returned home in 1880. On his accession to the Chiefship, he interested himself in the economic welfare of his own Clansmen and of the people of the Highlands and Islands, co-operating with the Government in the settlement of the people on the land. In 1920 he sold, with the consent of the heirs of entail, 60,000 acres of land to the Government for this purpose. As a Chief and Laird, Norman Magnus was greatly beloved. He married on 27th April 1881 Emily Caroline (b. 1857, d. 1943) second daughter of Sir Charles Isham, 10th Baronet of Lamport Hall, Northampton, with issue. Norman Magnus MacLeod, the 26th Chief, died on 5th November 1929 and was succeeded by his brother.

link to this is
http://www.macleodgenealogy.org/ACMS/D0038/I44.html
Keith Smith

The reason why Macleod gets so little mention is that, as Wood's Political Officer, he was based in Swaziland. There is considerable correspondence in the sources between the two men.

KIS
Keith Smith

Postcript

I should have mentioned that, as Melanie tells us, Macleod was no longer in the Army and therefore did not rate a mention in the usual sources, having left the service in 1872.
KIS
clive dickens

Crying or Very sad
David
You are lucky I am still waiting for my copy to arrive.
Clive
Norman Magnus MacLeod
David Glynne Fox

Hi All,
Many thanks for your replies, all most helpful. Thank you Melanie for taking the trouble to type up your findings, all most appreciated.
Clive,
Waterstones in Nottingham have a number of copies of Zulu Vanquished. Many other officers have more than the usual mention too which is very helpful. I still haven't read the whole book yet but I feel it is a very welcome addition to the literature.
Thanks again
David

Crying or Very sad Clive - me too did you order from the SWB Museum.

Andy
clive dickens

Crying or Very sad
Andy
Yes I did.
Clive
Dawn

Andy, Clive
I ordered from the museum too, and it is holding up my copy of How Can a Man Die Better. Crying or Very sad
Dawn
Martin Everett

Dear Supporters,

In view of the comments above, which could suggest that the SWB Museum is an very inefficient organisation. We are solely in the hands of the distribution agents of the publishers. In the case of the recent books by Mike Snook (reprinted) and Sheldon Hall these were dispatched to customers the same day they were received. We have not yet received our copies of 'Zulu Vanquished' despite putting in one of the first orders. It would seem the book distributors ship out to Amazon and the likes of Waterstones first. Such are the uncaring pressures of the commercial world.

We continually help authors who full full access to our archives and photogaphic library in the prepartion of their works. You can see this in the credits in the AZW publications. We are also very grateful to those who do support our on-line shop, because this gives us vital income to continue our valued research service.

When desptching books, we try and minimise the postal charges which very high when shipping overseas. If you want your order (or split order) faster, and are willing to pay, we shall do so. (By the way, Dawn you are mentioned in the text of Sheldon's book).

I am currently helping David Rattray on a book about WW Lloyd's (1/24th) 120 AZW paintings. This will help enormously everyone's understanding of events in 1879. This book will be published privately some time in mid-2006 and only be available from David and the Museum - to avoid some of the challenges we have encountered with book publishers.

I ask you to keep supporting the museum and we shall be very grateful - and hopeful it will survive for many years to come.

Dawn

Martin
You have prempted me as I was going to contact Celia on Monday and tell her to ship HCMDB without Zulu Vanquished. Julian has whetted my appetite for this book and besides, I can't read two books at once.

I have always found the museum to be very helpful and prompt with the books I have ordered in the past so no criticism intended. I was merely commiserating with others who are also waiting for the book. Comments on this website ensure it will be a good read and well worth waiting for.

I am astounded that I could be mentioned in Sheldon's book and I will have to read it to believe it. Are you sure he is not refering to another Dawn? I have not ordered this book, but maybe now I shall have to. However, I'm not sure if the budget will stretch that far after the purchase of the above two.

I am happy to wait for your stock of Zulu Vanquished to arrive and I will continue to support the museum ahead of other companies selling the same products.
Smile
Dawn
clive dickens

Crying or Very sad
Martin
Your good lady Ms Celia Green did explain this to me in a email but it does not take away the dissapointment of others with Amazon and the like having their copies bfore us who supprt the museum.
Clive
Martin Everett

Dear Dawn,

I have been fighting a heavy cold - and I have lost my voice - and probably a bit of mental agility as a result - the lady mentioned in Zulu: With Some Guts Behind It - is Diane Blackwell and not yourself. Sheldon's book is a good read - well it kept me from sleeping!

Sorry for the disappointment of fame.

Dawn

Martin
I hope you soon recover.

I shall just have to become famous some other way!

Dawn
Zulu Vanquished