rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Ivor Emmanuel Death
TonyJones

Dear All,
that most splendid of voices that gave us the rendition of 'Men of Harlech', in the film 'Zulu' has died. The effects of a stroke six weeks ago have caught up with him. May his soul rest in peace.

Tony Jones.
Ivor Emanuel Death.
TonyJones

Dear all,
here's the link for the story:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/Wales/south_west/6908901.stm

Tony.
Ivor Emanuel
Robert John

He was a most unassuming and charming man and that beautiful voice will be sorely missed.

Robert

Sorry to hear of Mr. Emmanuel's death, but glad that he lived to the ripe old age of 80.

I enjoyed that "song" portion of "Zulu." And there are many people out there who really do believe that "Men of Harlech" was sung during the defence of Rorke's Drift.

Barbara
so sorry
clive dickens

I am so sorry to learn of the passing of this very talented Welshman may his soul rest in peace
Clive
The Scorer

Ivor's part in Zulu is the one for which he's mostly remembered, but he deserves to be remembered for much more than that, as he was a fine actor and singer.

Mind you .... my favourite Zulu joke deserves a re-telling: "The defenders of RD are under a lot of pressure, with the spears being thrown and the Zulus chanting away. John Chard says to Ivor "Lead the soldiers in song" .. so he starts to sing "Men of Harlech". Sadly, this only seems to make things worse, so Chard says to Ivor: "For goodness sake, Ivor, sing something they like .... !""

Very Happy
Martin Everett

Sorry to hear the sad news - but in what roll was he cast?

Alan
Site Admin

He was 'you dozy Welshman' !

Sad ,
I too along with many others will miss Ivor , one of those people who you only need to know his first name and all know who we are talking about .

Ivor was cast in Zulu as Pte Owen , not one of the defenders at Rorke's Drift if memory serves correct and Larry Taylor ( with leather neck collar and fine whiskers ) cast as Pte Hughes , again not a defender at the drift if memory serves correct ( ? ) . I doubt if Men of Harlech was sung as this was not the regimental song / tune at the time and even that being sung i reckon was in doubt due to high emotions / heat & lack of water .

Ivor had a fine voice and even after 40 years as Pte Owen he will always be remembered for that role , rest well son of Wales , " Sapper " . Wink

PS : Can Phil Pearce & Tony Jones contact me on my home e - mail , there has been some trouble with my server and i need to contact you both , cheers! , " Sapper " .
Rich

I know Ivor lived in Spain in a village called Benelmadena but I think he always had Pontrhydyfen with him all the time. From an interview he did, I can see he had a surely successful but a tough life. Wales has lost a fine man.
Dave Colbourne

I'll always remember him from Land of Song, shown when I was a lad, one of my favourite programmes, even though I'm not Welsh! Sadly missed.
Ivor Emmanuel Death