rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Rich

Sheldon...when I first saw "AMFAS" I was just struck by the images in the first few scenes..the film has a tremendous sense of place...took me awhile to get there but I did it...loved the tour..the grounds were incredible...I took a ton of pix and said hello to the ghosts and had a great chat with the tour fellow...you guys have a great historic country...looks like you're keeping it that way...
picked up "My Darling Clementine"...on my list....
Sheldon Hall

The rumours about the re-released DVD are true. A new 2-disc Special Edition will be released in the UK on 5 November. I've not seen a finished copy yet, but it should contain all the extras from the first Region 2 disc, along with a couple of new featurettes including an interview with John Barry. And yes, some of the behind-the-scenes documentary footage will be used (though not the whole thing - just a few choice extracts), along with other rare material which it would be unfair to disclose! For the first time all this material will also appear in a Region 1 edition, as Paramount has now acquired all world rights in the film. I'm not sure when that's coming out, but the British edition is already available for pre-order on Amazon, Play, etc.
Rich

...thanks for the heads up..I'll be checking here on region 1....
Furthermore..
leightarrant

Additions to a new ZULU DVD would also include:

Bruce Forsyth's Palladium pastiche, (James Booth?)
Lional Blair's dance routine, Zulu Stamp/Monkey feathers
Footage from the UK premier
Selected 'Poster' gallery

Postcards (As per 'IF....' recent DVD release)
Another narrative by Sheldon with Michael Caine
A word from Nic Raine on the re recording of the soundtrack (Which was fab!)

A Viewing of the cutting floor rushes (If they exists?)
The ZULU trailor for the 1972 re release
The ZULU DAWN trailor

Any one else.................???
Mel

Sheldon
Do you know whether or not Jay Pinto plans to release the full version of his film? If not then, surely, a golden opportunity has been missed with this new DVD release?

Leigh,
Ah, what an ideal world that would be! Unfortunately, very little footage still exists from 60s editions of "Sunday Night at the London Palladium" and "Top of the Pops", so the Forsyth sketch and Blair dance have almost certainly been wiped (I checked the archives when writing my book). Nor have I come across any London premiere footage or deleted scenes/trims from the rushes. The 1972 reissue trailer is on the existing Region 2 DVD as an 'Easter egg' (keep looking!) and will probably be carried over to the new one. Paramount doesn't own "Zulu Dawn", so I doubt that trailer will be on the DVD. I don't know about free postcards, but other recent Paramount re-releases have had them, so who knows? But I agree a poster gallery would be nice. And I did offer to do a second commentary, but time (and preumably money) was short, so that was nixed.

Mel,
There may be another opportunity to see the behind-the-scenes footage on DVD, but I can't confirm the details at this stage.
Peter Ewart

Sheldon

What a pity that so much old footage of all sorts of material has gone, especially as that particular show was TV in the early '60s.

I distinctly remember Day by Day (the tea-time news magazine programme on Southern TV, broadcast from Dover and Southampton) publicising the new film with an interview of Stanley Baker by Tony Bilbow, the usual "anchor." The remark which stands out in my memory (it would almost certainly have been in January 1964, thereby coinciding with the release, and was definitely before May '64, when I saw ZULU for the first time) was Baker's insistence that the African extras had never seen a cine camera in their lives but within three weeks were doing exactly what was required without difficulty. This remark was brought to mind again when I watched the Lady Baker interview in the ZULU DVD "extras". As far as I recall (43 years later!) the programme also included a few sequences from the film itself - in black and white, naturally.

No doubt this interview will have gone the same way as the other material?

Peter
Sheldon Hall

Peter,

It may still exist, esp. if it was shot on 16mm film, as many outside broadcasts were in the 60s. I have seen a couple of interviews with Baker c. 1963, but I don't think yours was one of them. But it may be in the ITV archives, as news and interviews were considered more important historically, and therefore worth keeping, than "mere" entertainment shows (hence the virtual extinction of early TOTP - inc. the very first episode! - and Palladium).
Rich

And speaking of the "archives', I'm just wondering if your cinemas around the country might harbor some kinescopes (not sure did they have them there??), ultrapanavisions, cinemascopes, etc etc somewhere in their back rooms or hidden alcoves. All it takes is some good old fashioned snooping, eh? They found Tut (albeit a few years after he died) under a bunch of sand, no? Cool. I mean can all that "Zulu" stuff be lost for all time?
leightarrant

Hmmm, I wonder if Ol' brucie himself has any of those palladium shows in his private vaults!! Such a pity. (If only we had betamax tape recorders in those days!!) Also, who was the comedian that introduced the Michael Caine pastiche of 'Don't through those bleedin' spears at me...' which for a while, was copied throughout the UK by numerous people in pubs, clubs etc etc... Is it at all possible that in November the museum could arrange to show the Jay pinto lost footage???
Don't Throw those spears at me......
Simon Rosbottom

I tried in vain to find the name of the comic but I stumbled upon this which is equally funny. How it might have all been different if they'd had 250 packets of Bensons.

http://policecamerapaperwork.blogspot.com/2007/05/don't-you-throw-bloody-spears-at-me.html

Any further advance on the 35mm film version being shown at this event??
Sheldon Hall

Not happening - apparently the museum isn't equipped for 35mm projection, so it'll be DVD.
sillymajor

Yes, sorry I did speak to our IT guys who deal with all audio visual at the museum and it will have to be DVD. We have a large 6ft projection screen and a great sound system in our Art Gallery space.

Will be stocking the new release DVD though at a special price, this should be going onto our online store soon but doubt if we could match Amazon's prices!

Sheldon any luck with Joe Powell? Is he still releasing his biography?
shearer

Lawrence of Arabia is one of mine, i have so many The man who shot Liberty Valance and Spartacus
National Army Museum November 2007