rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
The return of Schiess
Ed Coan

Was awake in the night last night, turned on the radio and was listening to a film/phone-on programme on Radio FiveLive.

A guy came on talking about the voiceovers he'd done and mentioned he's been in 'Zulu'. I thought he was going to say he was an extra, but turned out it was Dickie Owen, who played Schiess.

He went on to recount a story about how he tipped off Michael Caine to the part of Bromhead and told him what Cy Endfield in particular was looking for at the audition, so that Caine became a shoe-in. He was on air for quite a long time talking about 'Zulu', and his own career, which ended abruptly in 1970, when he went to the States as a result of some 'domestic business'.

Bleary-eyed, I reached for Sheldon Hall's book on the making of Zulu, to get some more background on Dickie Owen, in which Sheldon says no-one knows where Dickie Owen is these days and if anyone's got details to contact the publisher.

Of course, Sheldon may have made the connection by now, but Sheldon - if you're reading this - and for anyone else, FiveLive has a 'listen again' service and if you click here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/programmes/upallnight.shtml

and go to 'Saturday' you should be able to find the audio - it was about 3.45am.

Right, enough now - need some sleep!

Ed Coan zzzzz
SCHIESS
Sapper Mason

Very Happy ,
Greetings Forum , back out of " Netley " once again after an operation , sore but OK so i told . It is almost incredible to be true but it is , SCHIESS was but 28 when he died at sea enroute to the UK of malnutrition, his VC being held at this time in the National Army Museum in Chelsea . My own research has uncovered the fact that Cpl Schiess was one of 8 children and as far as i am aware this so called picture of him still remains a myth , if there ever was one in the first place , " Sapper " Wink
Mel

Ed
What are the odds of a find like that? I'm almost inclined to wish you more sleepless nights.
Dickie Owen has still got that resonant, booming voice hasn't he?
Interesting to hear how he claims that he's resposible for MC getting the part of Bromhead though.
BTW, it's under Sun not Sat.

It took a bit to find, so maybe to save others some time, here's the direct link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/noscript.shtml?/radio/aod/fivelive_aod.shtml?fivelive/uan1_sun
The segment of interest to us begins at about 21:40, but the only way I could find to get there was to skip ahead in 15 minute increments! Well worth listening to! Thanks for the discovery.
Rich

thx for the radio program....good to hear his recollections..interesting bit about the Zulus who supposedly were made to think they would face "real bullets" when doing the movie!....sighs of relief when blanks were going to be used...
Carl Daeche

Interesting interview. Did anyone pick up about a re-release of ZULU on DVD this September. Anyone know more about this?

Laughing Imagine 70mm translated into BLU-RAY with full DTS support. I knew I converted the cellar into a cinema for a reason!
Rich

hello Carl....hey just an fyi....each time my brother-in-law comes over my house he wants to get a "five-finger discount" for that nice repro ammo box!!!....next time I'm gonna have him get in touch with you!... Cool
Carl Daeche

Hi Rich,

So pleased you and your brother in law are getting enjoyment from it. Feel free to pass on my email address I may be collating more interest for another round of boxes. But if he wants a five finger discount he will get it made in Balsa wood!

Great to hear from you.
Carl Laughing
The return of Schiess