rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
300 Two-Disc Special Edition Released
Coll

What can I say, but that it is a brilliant film, I've watched it several times and will watch it several more. I don't wish to get into a discussion about accuracy, costumes, weapons, special effects, etc., but I enjoyed it immensely.

Gerard Butler is fantastic as Leonidas.

CGI isn't to everybody's liking, but it appears to be what will be used for many future films, especially if such a scale is necessary, being the amount of people involved, locations, etc.

I give it 10 out of 10.

But that's just my opinion.

Coll
Rich

ah "300".....I bought it for my collection of "sword and sandal" epics. I like the story but I found out the presentation of CGI just ain't for me on this one. I kind of wished they went the way Oliver Stone went with "Alexander"..i.e....the "conventional" way. I would have loved to have seen if the makers were kind of in an "experimental" mood. Then they could have filmed "300" in the conventional as well as the CGI way. Would have loved to get opinions on that then.
mike snook 2

Bought the DVD the other day. Watched it that night. Gave it away the following morning. Will never waste my time watching it again. What a dreadful film. The format was dreadful, the script embarassingly bad, the characterizations preposterous. Sheer unadulterated bilge. Sorry Coll - that's two things we have to agree to disagree on, me old china!! Very Happy

In my view it constitutes an insult to the memory of Leonidas and his 300. Crying or Very sad

As ever

Mike
Rich

...and oh if David Farrar was around to get a glimpse of his character (Xerxes).... Wink .
John Young

Mike,

Of course the script was bad it was from 'graphic novel', or as you and I might call it a comic.

One of the saving graces was disc 2, as it featured the wonderful eye-candy of Bettany Hughes, see http://www.bettanyhughes.co.uk

Her three hour documentary of the Spartans was wonderful.

I said this some many times, but I wish a director would film Steven Pressfield's novel Gates of Fire, that would be something to behold, with no giants, hunchbacks or rhinos.

As far as history goes this production was dumbed down for the generations more used to The Lord of the Rings films. But it made my twenty-year son ask me, "What have you got on Thermopylae that I can have a look at?" Then for him to start discussing obvious errors he'd spotted, then like that other much mentioned film on this forum, something at least had rubbed off.

I agree the film was an insult but not to Leonidas and his 300, but to the all 2,000 Spartans, Helots, Thespians and Thebans who remained and fell at the Hot Gates.

John Y.

Ὦ ξεῖν', ἀγγέλλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις ὅτι τῇδε
κείμεθα, τοῖς κείνων ῥήμασι πειθόμενοι.
Rich

John:

Re: Gates of Fire..

I know there ws talk a while back of filming Pressfield's "Gates of Fire. Supposedy George Clooney was going to be in it and Michael Mann doing the directing. Looks like it has gone nowhere. I have the feeling that it won't be pursued now that '300" came out. Anyway, you have at least the '62 version!
peterw

Saw it on Friday - dross. Nuff said.

Peter
Rich

yeah arguably ..sorry that all those Brits ....Farrar, Houston, Richardson and Naismith couldn't raise it off the ground for you...maybe the American, Egan as Leonidas, was miscast?????........and the love story well they even threw one into "Sink the Bismarck"... Wink
Coll

John

You have hit the nail on the head with two different points in your posting.

Firstly, it has always been known the film is based as close as possible to the graphic novel, so you are right to remind us it was not meant as an accurate representation of the Battle of Thermopylae, like a history lesson on that specific event.

Secondly, and most importantly, you mention your son wanted to know more about the actual facts.

It could be that same situation has happened in many homes, where some have been interested enough, thanks to '300', to try and find out more.

'Zulu' as has been discussed many times, was not exactly accurate, but it was the film that got many of us interested in the AZW.

I'm sure some will be disappointed there weren't any ogres, rhinos, etc., involved, but as with 'Zulu', the real story is truly superior.

I agree also about Bettany Hughes Very Happy

Mike

Only two things ?! Wink

Coll
Dana Wynter
Simon Rosbottom

Hmmmm. Dana Wynter was the love interest in Sink the Bismarck. A friend of mine had dinner with her once in California and they got on ... let's say very, very, very well.

He only found out years later when their paths crossed once again (and when they were both married again) that that she had turned up at his hotel but he had just checked out..... She called it "The case of the missing Englishman" - as she is German.

This may already be known, but I've just received the Osprey Autumn 2007 catalogue and the following title is available -

Campaign Series - Thermopylae : Last Stand Of The 300.

I don't know if it is actually released yet, but as the Osprey books are usually quite detailed and illustrated, I thought I'd mention.

I'll hopefully obtain a copy myself soon Very Happy

Coll
Rich

and things we'd like to see.............

"300" playing in Iran.... Wink .............the portrayals didn't sit well with the Iranians that's for sure....in any case, one of thes days I wouldn't mind going over to Persepolis and take a visit to where the Greco-Persian Wars got their head start...some pretty impressive stuff there in the sands.......
mike snook 2

Rich

Yes - I agree with your remarks on the Persians to the extent that a good case can be made that they represent an unacceptable portrayal. And I'm afraid that I don't buy the guff about it being a film of a cartoon. It's a film of a very bad cartoon - so why would you make such a thing, when you could instead have made a great movie about 300 very brave and very real men, and the nobility of which the human spirit is from time to time capable.

If it's fanstasy baddies we are after then I suspect Jackson's trilogy of movies will never be bettered. And that was pretty faithful to Tolkien.

But why spend millions on making a very odd S&M gladiator film and dressing it up as something to do with Leonidas. Beats me.

Regards as ever

Mike
Rich

I think you've got to go into the minds of the Hollywood fellows on this one.
Ultimately, it beats me why they went the CGI way they did. On the other hand, they used Mr. Miller's graphic novel as the template of Thermopylae.
So that was what they were beholden too. In looking at the movie, I thought they went the CGI route also beacuse of the ease of which they could portray all the nasty stuff you know? We have a video game culture out there and as we know it enjoys the way of the "splat" and the color red. Conventional movie making probably didn't cut it with the producers of "300" beacuse of that potential. Anyway, if you're enjoying a stay in Greece, go and ask what's the most popular film in its history. Go on guess..... Wink..A retsina for you!
Sheldon Hall

"300"? 3 out of 10. But that's just my opinion...
300 Two-Disc Special Edition Released