rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
GlennWade

Hi Mike,

What do you mean 'when the money runs out'? I'm already down to filling my glass from the driptray Shocked

I was in the Welch Regiment Museum during Freshers week, hadn't been in for a few years. Is this new museum comprising some of the collection from the old QDGs museum? I recall that they had some impressive uniform and equipment items from the AZW as well as a carbine apparently from Isandlwana.

What is actually proposed?

Cheers,

Glenn

Glenn

It's a wholesale museum merger between old QDG and RRW museums in a wholly new resdisigned and sexed up exhibition area to the right of the castle gate. Too long and complex to talk about here but lots of potential to be very exciting.

Regards

M
GlennWade

Mike,

Sounds very promising indeed. Keep us posted please.

Cheers for now,

Glenn

Glenn

I've got great ideas for some 'explosive' scenes, confrontations between individuals who are on the same side, as well as specific action sequences.

Some of the bricks (scenes) you could say, but struggling with the mortar (dialogue) to hold them together, as well as the holding the attention of any potential audience.

I guess you'll have an idea of who I'll be concentrating on as the main character, using ALL Zulu War titles that I've obtained to create what is as close to the man's characteristics, including what he said and the actions he took on that day.

I've also ventured away from AZW books/films/documentaries for inspiration, to try and avoid the expected.

You'd be amazed the books and films that I am/will be using as a guide to what I want to say - but the film's end will leave audiences undecided, as (unusually) I'm not going to make Col. D. the hero of the piece, but to leave people thinking he could have been.

How far ahead are you with your script. I'd be interested to know a little more ?

Good luck with it and I wish you every success on its completion.

Coll
GlennWade

Hi Coll,

Your ideas sound top notch, rather different from our story as it stands. We have decided to focus on one Coy of the 1/24th Regiment in particular, and the relationship that could have existed between the men and two Officers who commanded them. The other focus then is on the two Officers. We attempt to highlight issues such as a change in military and human attitudes at this time, inner conflict, army discipline etc.

The several other relationships we have chosen are based firmly on recorded evidence. The battle of Isandlwana, is, of course, our set piece. In terms of dialogue, we have some historical scenes that are crucial and in which the words spoken were recorded. I am a thespian in my spare time so I am well versed in Drama and film. It's more sewing the pieces together than anything else. We have a good idea where we are going.

I assume your mind is wondering what we have to say of Durnford? Well, he is not paramount in terms of character but his actions are and we intend for him to come accross as the fellow in 'the wrong place, wrong time' vein. Certainly not as rash and responsible as some accuse him. Naturally, he is not popular with the colonials and certainly after he abandons the donga and returns to camp, he and Pulleine have a heated confrontation on horseback.

This is all very loose atm and being in Uni, with two people writing, it can get a bit difficult. As you said before, I believe, we might as well all try our hand at it, no one else seems to be!

Cheers, if you want to talk in more detail, drop me an e-mail. Smile

Glenn

Glenn

Thanks for sharing details of your project.

As we are both trying to write scripts on the same subject, I'll not pursue any more information about your storyline.

Tell me. When you are writing or thinking about what to write on your screenplay, can you visualise what way you'd like it to be filmed ?

If I'm correct, judging by what you say above, you are going for a realistic approach, so how do you see your project on the big screen ?

Like 'Zulu' ? Bright scarlet tunics, white helmets, blue sky, etc., or more 'Black Hawk Down', 'Saving Private Ryan' ?

Or, like myself, trying to merge all that I know of the different techniques of film-making, in a bid to try and please (almost) everyone, AZW enthusiasts and film buffs, as well as the general population ?

Talking of writing a screenplay, have you read 'Redemption' by Dawn in a section of this site ? There are some fantastic moments where she is spot on, on the approach I'm considering. The paragraph containing Durnford's last thoughts are perfect.

On that matter -

Dawn

Any chance I could use some of the bits from your story ?

As I think I would need your permission, due to copyright, as some points you cover are excellent, and the image of Durnford at the end has remained in my mind since I read your story, more than any other version of his demise in published books. You do appear to understand him well (perhaps me too ?) and what I'm looking for, in an effort to get Durnford 'right'.

Coll
Dawn

Go ahead, Coll, with my blessing. It was not published anywhere else that may raise copyright issues and I put it on the forum so it could get a public airing after being turned down for a history anthology.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, and that it left a good impression. Let me know what you do and allow me a sneak peak, if I may.

And just to tease you, I'm thinking of doing something similiar on Lord Chelmsford on 3 July, the night before the battle of Ulundi. Wink

Dawn
mike snook 2

Oh Oh...just heard the director of Elizabeth the Golden Age talking on Radio 4. Come back all earlier traces of optimism!! Talk of magical white horses and Joan of Arc like imagery of the Queen's visit to the Army at Tilbury.

However, tonight on Newsnight Review, some mixed messages - Tory MP Michael Gove thought it was excellent - and talked about the first pro-British history film since Olivier's Henry V. Two obscure ladies didn't like it as much.

Only one thing for it - gonna have to watch it and make my own mind up. Out on Friday apparently. Clive Owen by the way is Raleigh, not Drake as I speculated earlier.

Kate they all say is excellent.

M
Coll

Dawn

Thankyou very much - from me (and Col. D. Wink)

Coll Very Happy
AMB

Colonel Mike,

Are you able to give us a review after you view the Elizabeth film?

AMB
mike snook 2

I guess I could do that my friend - assuming I manage to find the time - and on the strict understanding if I do that my Tudor history ends at about O level standard (in old money!)

As ever
Mike
mike snook 2

Sheldon

As 'luck' (ahem) would have it, Channel 4 showed the first Elizabeth movie tonight, an astonishing coincidence, of course.

I watched it again and once again loved it. What's wrong with it from a film expert's point of view? I thought the cast was excellent, except perhaps a rather improbable looking French ambassador (Cantona), and an even more improbable Queen Mary (Kathy what's her name, who didn't quite manage to suppress her gor blimey luv a duck accent). Great acting by Rush and Blanchett (spelling?) and in cameos by Terence Rigby (PC Snow Z-Cars I seem to recall), the excellent Edward Hardwicke (Dr Watson), and Gielgud as the Pope. Daniel Craig tortured well. Ecclestone as Norfolk took his beheading well. Costumes first rate, dialogue good and punchy, characterization good, plot simple but meaningful, good beginning, good middle and good end. No dull parts. Nicely photographed. Good locations.

Not sure how a man capable of directing a flim like that would field a howler like the Four Feathers. Perhaps he wasn't able to round up the right support staff. There is a very obvious section of Victorian re-enactors who I thought were the stars of the film I must say. But my hat is off to the first Elizabeth. Good film. It will be interesting to see how the second one goes.

Regards

Mike
AMB

Colonel Mike,

I sadly missed the first Elizabeth film on Saturday, but look fwd to your review of the second. Must go & now find the first on DVD so I can watch it as I do my ironing!

Quite agree about the modern version of the Four Feathers. Action scenes were quite good, but as a whole, though the film 'limp'. 1939 version much better.

AMB
mike snook 2

....which spookily enough was on Channel 4 this afternoon... excellent - mainly because it has real Hadendawa and real British Tommies in it.

Mike
AMB

Colonel Mike,

Sadly, I was otherwise distracted this afternoon, so missed it. However, I do have both versions of Four Feathers on DVD. Great training aids!

[As an aside, I used to use Zulu & Zulu Dawn whilst at the factory - keep people interested during map reading theory lessons!]

AMB
Law as Bromhead! Hope not