rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Detailing Plans In The Sand
Coll

A point I noticed when watching '300'.

In the scene where Leonidas is describing his plan of action, he marks it out on sand. It reminded me of 2 other films which used the same idea, being 'Zulu' and 'The Alamo' (1960 version) when Travis is explaining the situation to Crockett.

Do you think this is to help the non-military enthusiasts understand the battle better, giving a quick and easily understood idea about what and why something is going to happen ?

Coll
AMB

I can only talk as a simple soldier. Plans in the sand work. Information is easily put across during a sand pit briefing. It works for the boys; it works in movies!

AMB
Coll

AMB

Thanks for your reply.

I do feel including such scenes in films about these historical battles, does assist those unaware of specifics to have an understanding of the events, without getting caught up in too much technical detail, especially within the confines of a film.

Thanks again

Coll
AMB

Coll,

The scene in Zulu clearly gets across the idea of the Zulu battle tactics.

"Jolly deadly, old boy!"

AMB
Sheldon Hall

I've just watched (finished 15 mins ago) another film in which a battle plan is demonstrated with a sand diagram: the excellent 1966 Cavalry 'n' Indians Western "Duel at Diablo" (though "Siege at Diablo" would have been a more accurate title, if less alliterative).

John Wayne was very fond of having his characters draw diagrams to illustrate strategy, etc: check out "The Longest Day" and "The Cowboys", among others (both involving chalk drawings on blackboards).
leightarrant

I love that film Duel at Diablo!! James Garner et al. I love the jazzy music by a cetain Neil hefti !! Anybody seen a film entitled SHALAKO??
I love this film also!! Can't recall if there's any plans in the sand mind...
Sheldon Hall

SHALAKO was shown in 70mm (probably the only 70mm print made of it) earlier this year at the Bradford Film Festival. Not a great film, but one of the relatively few British-produced Westerns ("roast-beef Western", anyone?).
Coll

Shalako, the film that convinced me Sean Connery would have been an excellent Durnford, as it is the only film I've seen him wearing a stetson.

There is an excellent poster of the film on MovieGoods, which has him centre with Woody Strode on one side and Brigitte Bardot on the other.

Imagine the left side of Sean's hat turned up with a red puggaree around the band, and Connery sporting a moustache. There you have it ! Very Happy

Maybe that's why I like Gerard Butler in '300', as I'd never heard of him before, but in the film, especially the scene of his conversation with Xerses, you could close your eyes and swear it was ol' Sean you were hearing.

That's it. Gerard Butler to portray Durnford in a new film Wink even if only because he reminds me of Connery (my first choice - at the age he was at when he made 'The Man Who Would Be King)

Coll
Sheldon Hall

Sean (in an alternative "300") wouldn't need to shout so much...
Coll

Sheldon

If he didn't shout, how would his men at the back hear him ? Wink

Rumour has it that Butler has been approached to portray Connery's character from the film 'The Untouchables', obviously as a younger man in a prequel to the film.

Mind you, I've also heard he may play Kurt Russell's character, in a remake of 'Escape From New York'. Confused

Coll
Sheldon Hall

The "conversation" with Xerxes (who is standing about a foot away) is conducted at full-pitch bellow: "THIS IS SPARTA!!!!!", etc! Quite unnecessary, even in the days before microphones. And the six-pack muscles were digitally painted on, I'll have you know!
leightarrant

The Man Who Would Be King - Wasn't that the film where at a glance Michael Caine looked like he was back in ZULU (!)
The Man Who Would Be King
Simon Rosbottom

Another cracking film and much undervalued.

Carrying 20 Martinis through the Khyber Pass (without spilling any) and getting the sentry thrown into the guardhouse to boot.

Connery's Best line - "Now listen to me you benighted muckers. We're going to teach you soldiering. The world's noblest profession. When we're done with you, you'll be able to slaughter your enemies like civilized men."

Caine best line - "Detriments you call us? Detriments? Well I want to remind you that it was detriments like us that built this bloody Empire AND the Izzat of the bloody Raj. Hats on."

How many films have a 103 year old man in them? Karroom Ben Bouih Was 103 years old when he made his one and only film appearance in The Man Who Would Be King (1975). When he saw some of the footage he declared that now he would live on forever.

..great film...and you have two of the best actors I think doing their stuff...You know Connery could have been typecast so much with his Bond character where he earned so much acclaim and publicity but it's funny when I think of him I can immediately think of other roles he's played.
He isn't just old James.
Coll

Sheldon

With regret, I have to disagree with you.

The 'This is Sparta !' scene was when Leonidas had more or less been threatened by the messenger from Xerses (including the displaying of the skulls and crowns of other conquered kings) and also his wife, the Queen, insulted. So, he was extremely angry, so he had every right to shout.

In his conversation with Xerses himself, Leonidas was being more sarcastic than loud, but at the same time not allowing Xerses to intimidate him, as well as informing Xerses that Sparta would indeed be remembered, as would the men making a stand with him.

However, judging by the disapprovals of '300' in the other topic, it looks like I stand almost alone again.

So it seems Durnford, 'Zulu Dawn' and now '300' are poor choices on my part, but I stick by them, even if they are deemed the losing team(s)

Coll
Detailing Plans In The Sand