rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Henry Spalding 104th Foot
Paul Lamberth

Assistance please...I am looking for a complete profile on Spalding.
All I have is ..passed through the Staff College Ens : 20 Feb 1858
Lt : 9 Oct 1859 Capt : 9 Feb 1868
Thanks
Paul
Brevet Major Henry Spalding 104th Regiment
John Young

Paul,

In addition to the promotions you have - Brevet of Major 11th November, 1878.

Attached to the 53rd (Shropshire) Regiment in the Indian Mutiny campaign, from May to October 1858. He was present at the passage of the Goomtee and occupation of Sultanpore.

Appointed Deputy Assistant Adjutant & Quartermaster General, Cape of Good Hope in the 9th Cape Frontier War.

Information from Hart's Army List, 1880.

For his services in the Anglo-Zulu War see MacKinnon & Shadbolt's The South African Campaign of 1879, page 315 of the Greenhill published 1995 edition.

I have a very poor photograph of him on a course at Hythe.

Hope that's of some use?

John Y.
Paul Lamberth

Thanks John

You would'nt happen to know when,were he was born?
Married? etc what did he do after AWZ when did he die and were was he burried?

Paul
Spalding
John Young

Paul,

Born 1840, died 1907.

Sorry best I have on him.

The any other material should be at Kew.

John y.
raiengland

Hi Paul,
Henry Joseph Spalding 104th Regt, son of Henry Spalding, born 14 july 1840, christened Old Church St Pancras 15 Aug 1841, married Ruby age 18, of Southampton, retired from the army 1881, died 22 may 1907 in London, his death was reg St Georges Hanover Sq and his London address was Bury St.
Rai 1879memorials.com
Paul Lamberth

Thanks to all

What did he do after AZW...untill he retired in 1881? and there after till 1907? Did he gain further promotion? where etc? Did the AZW campaign have an effect on his career? Brevet major resort to anything?

Thanks

Paul
Martin Everett

Dear Paul,

In the April 1882 Army List: Spalding is shown as retiring from the Army on 22 December 1880. He was then on 'half pay' which suggests that he did nothing following his return from the AWZ. Spalding was given the Honorary rank of Lieutenant Colonel on the date of his retirement. When he attended Staff College I do not know - probably Junior Division sometime before 1872.

Peter Ewart

Paul

On 3rd April 1881, residing at 209 Albany Street, London, he described himself as a Lieut Colonel on the retired list. He had (presumably only just!) married his 18-year old bride, a native of Southampton, as Rai has mentioned above. Ruth's middle initial was F.

On 31st March 1901 he was still described as a "retired army officer" while residing in the parish of St James, Westminster. Perhaps, like many officers, he was of independent means if no later occupation is involved? A quick look at the online version of the 1901 census didn't turn up Ruth, who may have died by then or whose entry may have been mis-transcribed.

Peter
Spalding's Staff College date.
John Young

Paul,

Just to confirm Martin's suggestion above. Spalding passed out of the Staff College in December, 1869.

John Y.
AndyR

I'm new to the internet, but browsing this site. I was interested to see your discussions on Henry Spalding, many years ago a friend of mine purchased some medals from an old lady who I beleive he said lived in the Southampton area wether this was some relation to his young wife I do not know. I asked him at the time wether there was any relevant literature with the medals and he thought not. A little while after I purchased the medals from him which consist of A South Africa medal bar 1877.8.9. to the 104th foot and an Indian Mutiny Medal no bar to Ensign Henry Spalding 53rd regiment. I did some research at the time, but basically came up with what has been discussed. I will check through my old papers.
AndyR

Born 27.9.1840
Commitioned Ensign 20.2.1858
Commitioned Lieut 9.10.1859
Commitioned Capt 9.2.1868
Brevet of Major 1879
Substantive Major 16.10.1880
Honorary Lieut Col 22.12.1880
Regimental Instructor of Musketry 1865-1868
Retired 22.12.1880
Kaffir Campaign operation against Galekas Zulu Campaign
Mentioned in Dispatches L.G. 15.3.79
Acted as marshal at funeral of the prince Imperial.
Major Henry Spalding 104th Regiment
Ron Sheeley

John Young

RB,

Is he in that group?

JB
Ron Sheeley

JB, Not certain, but he should be according to Hart's!! How about sending the poor image of him that you have to my private email? RB
Peter Ewart

Ron

That's fascinating. It seems he must have been at work on that as soon as he left the army as it was published in 1881. Given that he had no university education (going by the timetable above) it would be interesting to know his school. He probably also found time to hone his skills during his military career.

Major Bengough (who immediately compiled a military phrasebook in Zulu when appointed to his NNC command for the AZW, despite being unfamiliar with the language before his sailing) appears to have been another busy linguist during his life. During his rural retirement, he founded a local weekly reading club, which immersed itself in "German, French & Italian literature, classical and otherwise", and in his daily Gospel reading he (in later years) "read it in the Russian text, having the German and English text at hand for help and comparison."

It would be interesting to know if Spalding added to his literary efforts after 1881, or whether he left it at that.

Peter
Henry Spalding 104th Foot