rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Coll

Why is it that Michael Caine always appears to be the main character illustrated on the video and dvd covers for 'Zulu' ?

Surely Stanley Baker, although you see him in older posters, should still be the one of the two actors who deserves to be on the front cover, considering how involved he was in the making of the film ?

I don't understand this at all.

Coll
AMB

Coll,

Is it because the viewing public are a fickle bunch and as Sir Michael is still with us, remember him more than they do Sir Stanley?
Lerica9

Nothing gets me more than when I read 'Zulu starring Michael Caine'....(aplogies of course,to all Caine fans) Its no wonder the under 35 year old market doesn't know who Sir Stanley is, when his most (arguably) best known film is marketed now, under another actors name.
Coll

AMB

You could be right.

Lerica9

As you say, nothing against Michael Caine, as he is indeed good in the film.

It should really be Stanley Baker most people think of straight away, and not have his image allocated to the back cover.

In military history, AZW, etc., we try to remember historical figures, who might otherwise be forgotten. Could the same not be said of film history ?

How can the modern audiences recognise actors such as Stanley Baker, if they are shoved into the background, especially regarding the film 'Zulu' ?

Thank goodness for Sheldon Hall and his book.

Coll
AMB

Coll wrote:

"Thank goodness for Sheldon Hall and his book."

Well said, Sir!

AMB
Rich

You know I dip into Sheldon's book more often than not and one of the things that gets me about it is the sheer wealth of details, details and details and scope of the book. I think Sheldon must've spent 30+ years on it flying and traveling all over the place. Food, grub and ale probably passed because of the scribbling!

Movie blurb: "Land of the Pharoahs"..check out Jack Hawkins as the ruthless Pharoah. No tippling with the bottle here! He was dead serious for getting all the gold in with him in that pyramid after he died. And speaking of sand, plenty of it fallng around in the pyramid.
Rich

And Coll..just an fyi.... and if you're evron the English version of "Jeopardy" you could maybe use this....

I was at cnn.com and came across this stat about Caine and Jack Nicholson. It's that they have been the only two actors to have been nominated for an Academy Award in every decade since the 60's......not too shabby,eh?...The "Zulu" marketers I guess like his "quality"!.......now Jack in "The Terror"..I don't know... Wink ...I know he had to do that before "Cuckoo's Nest"..... Cool
New DVD artwork
leightarrant

Just a note to say that the new DVD cover artwork is a little dissapointing, like the previous one. Pity they didn't re create the original ZULU artwork, to give it the epic feel it deserves. It's obviously aimed at a new generation of movie buffs....Also, EMPIRE magazine didn't rate the new release too highly, in the way of 'extras' they complained that there was no Michael Caine interview etc....giving the ZULU release 2 stars for extras but 5 for the film itself.
Coll

Finally saw an actual advertisement for the 'Zulu two disc set on the Sci-Fi channel last night. It is available tomorrow they say.

I don't know - but is anyone the same as me - as you'd think I had never saw the film before, if you saw my reaction to the clips shown during the advert.

I was absolutely delighted ! Very Happy

Coll
Barbara Grant

Dear Lerica9:

Welcome to this forum!

I appreciate your interest in Sir Stanley Baker. Many in America don't know who he was, and I think that's too bad. On the VHS copy of "Zulu" I hold in hand, I see (a much older) Sir Michael Caine on the front cover; and only a small picture of Sir Stanley on the back.

Perhaps future audiences will learn more about Sir Stanley and his work. In the mean time, I regret not having been back to your great city of London in nearly five years. My family and I have enjoyed our visits there, and I hope to visit again soon!

Best regards,

Barbara
Coll

I obtained and watched the 'Zulu' two disc set today.

Box slip cover, with the two discs in a holder which has a full dvd cover size portrait of Michael Caine in uniform and hatless on the front, with, unusually, but only rightly, the same size portrait of Stanley Baker wearing his sun helmet and uniform on the back (he should still have been on the front though !)

The small poster isn't that bad.

I'm considering getting it framed.

Well, it was free ! Wink

Coll
leightarrant

Coll - Was the free poster print the UK quad or the USA one sheet...??
mike snook 2

Coll

A question please:

Is it worth having?

What does it do that the old DVD I have already doesn't?

As ever

Mike
Coll

Leigh

All I know is that it is an A3 version of the first U.K. video cover illustration for 'Zulu', minus the wording.

You'll see it in Sheldon's book - at the top of the page which has a small illustration of the 'Zulu Dawn' video cover below it.

It is quite good quality.

Mike

Being an AZW enthusiast and fan of the film, I'd say get it.

However, if you already have the previous dvd (and Sheldon's book) and are quite content with it, and not really wanting an additional copy, even with the few updates, and quality enhancement - if I was to look at it 'coldly', it may be unnecessary to acquire this other version.

'Zulu' the film, in whatever form you possess, speaks for itself.

Sheldon's book is part of this, what I call - 'film gold'.

If you have both of the above (dvd + book), you don't really need anything more.

Mind you. You are asking someone who has 9 copies of 'Zulu Dawn' ! Shocked

Coll
leightarrant

Coll - Why 9 copies of ZULU DAWN for god's sake!!! I have the 1 DVD issue, and thats fine isn't it?? Have you the film poster also...??
Zulu : Special Collector's Edition ?