rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Zulu : Special Collector's Edition ?
Coll

I noticed in the November 2007 issue of Empire magazine, the 'Zulu: Special Collector's Edition' will be available to buy on November 5th.

I think it is a two-disc set, but not sure how much it differs from the dvd I got a while back supplied in a box cover.

Have I missed something, that many already know about, or can someone supply further details on any extras, etc., that might be included ?

Thank you

Coll
Dave Colbourne

The new Special Collector's Edition does not sound too different from the original dvd release. Here's a quote that I found on the Britmovie web site from one of the members.

As previously stated, Paramount is re-releasing Stanley Baker�s epic Zulu as a two disc �Special Collectors Edition� next month. The Virgin Megastores website has a shot of the set�s back cover which reveals not too much difference between this new version and the old when it comes to extras:

Disc 1: Feature commentary with film historian Sheldon Hall and Zulu�s Second Unit Director Robert Porter.

Disc 2: The Music of Zulu / Zulu: Remembering an Epic / Teaser Trailer / The Making of Zulu: Role of Honour / The Making of Zulu: �And Snappeth The Spear in Sunder / Theatrical Trailer.

The BBFC has passed the film for this new release and hopefully it�s a gorgeous new transfer - they�ve also just passed the film for showing theatrically on DVD.

Looks like the only new bits are the music and remembering an epic. Hopefully also the transfer is better.

Hope this helps.

Dave
leightarrant

If this is the correct details, pity they didn't include the Black and White out takes that lurks in someones garage!! An interview with John Barry would have been nice, not to mention Michael Caine! Furthermore, A Poster section would be nice, and an interview with Sheldon Hall himself, on writing that infamous book! Look forward to purchasing it very soon...
Sheldon Hall

Hi Leigh,

Funny you should mention it, but... the music featurette is built around an interview with John Barry and the 'Remembering Zulu' featurette is essentially an interview with me, illustrated with some extracts from the b&w behind-the-scenes footage plus some additional material never seen before (and worth buying the DVD for, I think). The new features are fairly short in terms of running time (about 18 mins in total, I think), but they do flesh out the disc significantly. I haven't seen the film transfer, so I don't know if it's been remastered, and I've only seen the front cover on Amazon - at least they got rid of that bloody white feather from the first edition!

Sheldon
Coll

Dave

Many thanks.

If it hadn't been for the small photograph in the magazine of Michael Caine in the uniform he wore in 'Zulu' that caught my attention, I might have missed mention of the 'Zulu: Special Collector's Edition' being released, details about it elsewhere being few and far between.

Although, judging by what Sheldon says, I'll be obtaining a copy a.s.a.p.

Thanks again

Coll
leightarrant

Hi Sheldon - Worth buying definitely! One day they'll do the same for
THE ALAMO(1960) and the missing 30 mins that only appears on laser disc and widescreen VHS.
Rich

well as I suspected I don't see the Special Edition on amazon.com....so I don't see Region 1 discs coming out..why do they do these things????... Wink ...
Sheldon Hall

It is a bit strange, because the new extras were produced by an American-based company. But the new sp. ed. WILL be released in Region 1, as Paramount now control all world rights. It's only a matter of time...
Rich

ah hope shines bright.....thank you Sheldon for that!...
The Scorer

Just ordered through Amazon .... !!

Very Happy
Dave Colbourne

Further on the subject, I understand that HMV are offering an exclusive release which includes a poster. This was obviously produced by the Michael Caine Appriciation Society as only he appears on the poster with no sign of Stanley Baker! Smile
Sheldon Hall

What a surprise... any Zulus on it?!
Dave Colbourne

Just as a crown scene in the background attacking the perimeter.

There's a picture of the dvd and poster on the Britmovie website, thats http://www.britmovie.co.uk/forums/latest-dvd-releases/10676-zulu-collectors-edition.html.

Dave
Mel

Sheldon
Have you any news on what Jay Pinto intends to do with his film? Is there going to be any chance of him releasing it in its entirety?

Mel,

There may be positive developments in the near future. Forgive me if I sound a bit vague, but my publisher and I are working on setting up a project which will allow more extensive use of this and other rare film material, brief extracts of which appear on the new DVD. I will release news about this when there's something to report, but I don't want to tempt fate by saying too much too soon...

Sheldon
Zulu : Special Collector's Edition ?