rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Sheldon Hall

I'm positive there will be a release of the new DVD in Region 1. MGM no longer owns the US rights, so the existing bare-bones US DVD will soon be out of print, if it isn't already. Paramount undertook the new DVD because it now has Region 1 rights, so there is no reason for it not to get a release there. I'm only surprised that it wasn't released in the US first, so hang on there!
Coll

The usual 'Zulu Dawn' joke -

QUESTION - What did you like best about the film ?

ANSWER - When it finished ! Rolling Eyes

Leigh

Yes. The music is somewhat lacking in 'power'.

As when you watch the films 'Zulu Dawn' and 'Zulu' together and see what one has and the other doesn't - the same goes for their soundtracks.

The trouble with 'Zulu Dawn', apart from the obvious, is that it seems like they made the film using the very first draft of the script, without adding a bit of heart and soul into its structure during rewrites - until they had a decent screenplay.

I remember hearing the excellent Richard Burton reading the letter at the beginning of 'Zulu', wondering what this Isandlwana was he mentioned, hoping a film was available about it - hence 'Zulu Dawn' was brought to my attention many years ago. Even then I compared it as a British version of the many LBH movies.

I must admit I was disappointed to find only one modern film was ever made about Isandlwana, and have waited patiently ever since, for a new film to appear.

I'm still hoping.

I was only too pleased someone had took the time to at least try to write and make a film about this famous event - which unfortunately failed.

Hopefully the next will be a huge success ! Very Happy

Coll
John Hodson

I just had to pop in to say how delighted I am with most aspects of the new DVD. Even on a quick run through it's obvious this is an entirely new transfer of Zulu and it is night and day better than the previous R2 - brighter, cleaner, sharper, with colours that are bold and true.

Until I watched it again recently, I used to think the old R2 was reasonable. This absolutely blows it out of the water. Bravo.

The sound seems to be the same stereo mix taken from a 35mm print. Your search, Dr Hall, for an extant 70mm print complete with six-track sound was fruitless?

I say 'most aspects' because once again Paramount has chosen to virtually ignore Stanley Baker in the artwork for the box, the publicity, press releases and advertising. I've no idea what Michael Caine must think of this (any reason why he doesn't feature in any of the extras?), but I'm pretty sure he must be mightily embarrassed.

Yes, I'm afraid no 70mm print has yet turned up, to my knowledge. I believe Sir Michael was being courted for publicity purposes, but he evidently wasn't willing or able to participate (ditto the docs themselves).
John Hodson

Sheldon Hall wrote:
I believe Sir Michael was being courted for publicity purposes, but he evidently wasn't willing or able to participate (ditto the docs themselves).

That's more than a little baffling, you would have thought as a tribute to Baker at the very least...

BTW, can I add that I thought 'Zulu: With Some Guts Behind It, The Making of the Epic Movie' was - is - a marvellous piece of work. Churlish of me to go without mentioning it.

Sheldon Hall wrote:
I'm positive there will be a release of the new DVD in Region 1. MGM no longer owns the US rights, so the existing bare-bones US DVD will soon be out of print, if it isn't already. Paramount undertook the new DVD because it now has Region 1 rights, so there is no reason for it not to get a release there. I'm only surprised that it wasn't released in the US first, so hang on there!

Thanks for the reply, Sheldon. Good news indeed!
leightarrant

Just a note on the new DVD artwork - appalling and unimaginative! Sorry to be harsh, but I must say it did lack enthusiasm and interest. Firstly I can hardly get the DVD out of the enclosed case it comes with, and secondly I was just dissapointed with the enclosed artwork as well as the outer artwork. Think I prefer the white feather version (and thats saying something!) I must say that I kinda expected some postcards as an insert as well (Like the recent IF.. release)... By why oh why do paramount keep discarding the use of the original artwork, which exlemplifies what ZULU is all about, and that is EPIC!! Towering the Mightiest, Dwafting the greatest!!! There. I've said my piece, but bravo for the new extras and the equisite new print....It's never looked better. Now for a re lease at the cinema please...
Sheldon Hall

I still haven't seen the DVD except online so can't comment in detail on the sleeve designs. Paramount has recently been using original poster artwork for some of its re-released classic titles ("Alfie", for example) but evidently not for "Zulu". I'd guess this was because the original "epic" typeface and poster designs were used for some of the many cheap public domain DVDs of the film that have been released in the US over the years, and the company didn't want the new edition to be confused with them.

Of all the major studios, only Warner Bros (which also has the rights to pre-1986 MGM titles and - in the US - RKO titles) regularly uses original artwork on its DVD covers as a matter of policy. I agree that it's the best way to present classic films, but other studios may feel a more "modern" design approach will attract more purchasers.
Sheldon Hall

John,
Many thanks for your kind comments on the book! I must admit I'm still somewhat overwhelmed by the wholly positive response I've received for it, and I do appreciate everyone who takes the time and trouble to let me know they've enjoyed it.
Sheldon
Rich

"cheap public domain dvds of the film that have been released in the US over the years"..
Yes, Sheldon and who do you think has them?...I have two bad copies and a "Zulu Dawn" VHS bought when tapes started to make their appearance..all have seen their time...that's why I'm looking forward to getting the Special Edition and sitting down and enjoying a visual experience to one of my favorite films..if you do get a chance to speak with the Paramount/MGM/Warner guys tell'em please for film's sake Rich would like a nice copy here..(for private viewing of course... Wink )
Sheldon Hall

I've not had one myself yet!
leightarrant

In case I'd forgotton to mention - Nice book Sheldon! I've read it just the three times, and read certain chapters more than that!! So, this and THE ALAMO (Wayne) making of.... are two of the best books on the movie business around. ZULU will always take place in my heart, as this had the most impact on me when I was a child, and all of my friends at school used to do their ZULU posters in art class after I'd told them to go and see ZULU at the local flicks. Also - After seeing ZULU at the local ABC, we used to come home and build barracades, and play ZULU's in the back garden!! If only they had VHS tapes in those days....

But hats off, bringing back so many in depth answers that had always longed to be answered for.

The new ZULU print certainly is impressive, and long may it be talked about
on this forum for years to come!!
Sheldon Hall

Thanks, Leigh! Look forward to meeting you face-to-face on 17 Nov.
Paul Bryant-Quinn

Mel: �9.95?? I got mine for �7.99 in WH Smith's in Aberystwyth!

Cool

Leigh is right, though - it is very hard to get it out of the case (mind you, I can never get these things out of the cellophane wrapping either) Rolling Eyes

Childhood memories of ZULU: I recently came across old school reports which my late parents had unkindly kept among their papers. In one of them (I was 9 years old) it said 'If this pupil showed as much interest in his school work as he does in Zulus his standard would undoubtedly improve'.

Some things never change ...
Rich

And speaking of cases, the "Zulu Dawn" vhs I have (must've come out ages ago and I don't even remember when I got it ) came in a hard case showing John Mills, Burt Lancaster and Peter O'Toole on the frontspiece. Not sure if this was issued in the UK as well. The back goes into a description of the film but the proofreading could've been better. They had Nigel Davenport listed as Sir Bartle Frere. heh heh is that worth anything?? Wink Could I finance a trip to Zululand because of that?????
Zulu : Special Collector's Edition ?