rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Military History Sources for Family Histories, The Zulu War
AMB

Dear All,

I have just received a book about the Zulu War that I thought I�d bring to the Forum�s attention:

Military History Sources for Family Histories, The Zulu War 1879 by Phil Tomaselli.
ISBN: 1-86006-194-X
Published by the Federation of Family History Societies (Publications) Ltd, 2006.

Whilst a very sharp bookshop in Devon took me for �24 (I got mine on-line), the cover price for the book is only �4.95. Having now physically looked at the book, I note that it�s available from www.genfair.com and having now looked at their site, the book can be purchased from them for as little as �1.25!

A general history of the war leads in to a very simple guide on how one can trace ancestors who might have fought in South Africa in 1879. A bibliography is also included, although many of the later works on the AZW are omitted (albeit, Saul David�s flawed work is mentioned).

Well worth �1.25, NOT �24!

AMB
(Very grumpy!)
Peter Ewart

Andrew

They must have seen you coming! I'm amazed at the price they were asking (and got) as I saw it on a bookstall at a family history conference for only about a fiver about a year ago. I put it down after a brief flick through, most unimpressed - even at that lower price.

I can't remember if it was one of a series or not but it was clearly put together by someone with no idea at all. I'm pretty sure the "Zulu War" angle was contrived to maximise sales to gullible beginners in family history who might have a military forebear to investigate.

Even if you'd got it at �1.25, I'd have said you'd been fleeced... Sad

Peter
AMB

Thank you, Peter - that makes me feel much better!?! :o(

Sadly, as one who rarely gets to English language bookshops, the internet is my only means of adding to my library.

However, that said, most booksellers are fair. This chap from Devon is clearly prepared to rip people off. Without the benefit of actually seeing books, sometimes one does take chances.

AMB
Military History Sources for Family Histories, The Zulu War