rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Lieutenant FJD Scott, Natal Carbineers
AndyW

Can anyone give me some more information on Lt. Scott of the Natal Carbineers? I have a lot of reference material (Hattersley's Carbineer etc etc) but very few of them actually give much more than basic info. For instance, what do the initial FJ stand for? He is normally listed as FJ Durrant Scott. Why was he an officer at a time when the Carbs' officers were elected by the men and he was one of only 3 officers in the Regiment. His brother is shown as a trumpeter in some photos but i don't know if he survived the War.

I have ordered a copy of the Who's who in the AZW (1+2) so the info may be in there but any ideas would be gratefully received.

Andy Confused
mike snook 2

Andy

There was a third brother called Dan who was a Sergeant Major in the Carbs and was also in the Isandlwana campaign. He was out of the camp at the time of the attack with Major Dartnell's command, and occurs in the sources in the aftermath of Isandlwana as having been refused permission to look for his brother's body amidst the wreckage of the camp - he would never have found him anyway as he was not in the camp, but lying over on the British right in front of a koppie called Mahlabamkhosi (don't know whether you know the ground?).

Regards

Mike
John Young

Andy,

Frederick John Durrant Scott.

The trumpeter's initial was C.

John Y.
FJD Scott
AndyW

Many thanks, Gents.

Mike, i still need to get hold of a copy of HCMDB but there have been loads of Christmas hints dropped - hope it works. Read 'Like Wolves in the Fold' - loved it!

As you know, the Carbs celebrated their 150th 'birthday' in Jan 2005 and they are still active with contingents posted to peacekeeping duties in the DRC with the UN so they are still making news!
mike snook 2

Andy

Thank you for kind words and am glad you enjoyed Like Wolves. I hope Santa has you on his list! The Scotts do appear in HCMDB.

Regards

Mike
Coll

In a couple of my books there is a portrait drawing of Lt. Scott N.C., but also a photograph, apparently standing with his brothers.

Although from the drawing you get an idea of what he looked like, I wondered if there was an actual portrait photograph of him ?

Thanks

Coll
Coll

Further to the above.

Where is Lt. Scott buried ?

Thankyou.

Coll
Martin Everett

Dear Coll,

Only two killed on 22 Jan 79 at Isandlwana buried elsewhere - Lt Anstey 1/24th and Col Durnford. Only those with identifiable marked graves on the battlefield are Shepstone, Blaikie and Archbell + plus of course Melvill and Coghill.

John Young

Martin,

I'm going to beg to differ with you, I know of a third. Trooper George Thompson MacLeroy, Natal Carbineers, was initially buried where he fell. Hence the marker inscribed 'G.M.' on the Fugitives' Trail, however his body was exhumed and he was buried in the Commercial Road Cemetery, Pietermaritzburg.

John Y.
Coll

Martin

Thanks for your reply.

I remember reading that Lt. Scott had been identified, partially hidden by a broken piece of wagon, but mistakenly thought his body was later taken from the Isandlwana battlefield by his brothers to be buried in a cemetery.

It appears that I've got my facts wrong again.

Coll
Lieutenant FJD Scott, Natal Carbineers