rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Rich

Mike!..You hit on something I want to comment on because it is integral to all this flim-flam over "accuracy" in film. To whit...you allude to, in the Four Feathers", of a "central premise" of feathers and cowardice. Right. The theme of the film centers around those two cornerstones, if you will, in the adaptations. Now do the films adequately focus on those considerations? Do they explore the role of feathers and cowardice with solders of the Queen? Of course. Precisely. They all are indubitably "accurate" in that presentation. However, why would you or anyone go into a full-fright tizzy if a button (in a Four Feathers movie) on a soldiers tunic is perhaps from one of Her Majesty's regiments fighting on a dirt road on the outskirts of Princeton, New Jersey in the American Revolution? Does that in anyway takeaway from the theme of the movie which bejaysus should be the mantra that should be going through every film-goers eyes and emotions as they view the film? So, if a remake comes with "Zulu" I'll say this. If Sheldon does it I'll go. If you do it, I'll go. If John does it I'll go. If Sapper does it, I'll go. But know that yer all going to come to it with your "accurate" portrayals which is fine by me because I know they'll be integrity behind it. Now, if you just get the "theme" right (which I believe you all will have that down pat) then we all will be entertained in getting a glimpse of how British soldiers present themselves with courage and sacrifice under extreme duress. That I think when you get down to it is the essential focus all budding filmmakers should have. Now if the film can't do that then the remake will be a waste of everybody's time.
Mel

Sapper states that Zulu is his No. 1 film. He is not alone in this. All of us here have acknowledged the special appeal of the film that started us on the journey to find out more.

It would be interesting to analise exactly what the appeal of the film is. Why did it hook so many people? Maybe we should all list, say, six reasons and see what comes out.

I, too, would like to see a remake but not only on the grounds of historical accuracy.
What is the point of having a remake that is accurate but is also not as appealing as the original?

It is essential the any remake does not end up as just a battle. (eg. the very unappealing "We Were Soldiers" by Mel Gibson)

So the screenplay writers need to identify the ingredients of the special appeal of the original and incorporate them into the remake.

But here's the rub. It was the very historical innacuracies (kraal scene, Witts, Hook, orchestrated battle scenes, Chard/Bromhead rivalry, Zulu salute, spectacular scenary, older fatherly Colour Sergeant, men of harlech etc,) which helped to give the film the appeal in the first place!

Last edited by Mel on Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:02 pm; edited 2 times in total

Sorry, John, but you misread me. Here's the relevant sentence again without the middle parenthesis: "If all film versions of the gunfight at the OK Corral stuck closely to the historical facts of the incident, how quickly would we get bored with seeing the same action restaged in exactly the same way time after time?" I gave the titles of the 1946 and 1957 films as examples of versions of the story, not of historical accuracy. Indeed, my point was that the admitted historical inaccuracy of "My Darling Clementine" (despite the fact that Ford knew Wyatt Earp personally!) is totally irrelevant to its excellence as a film, which derives not from its relationship to history but from Ford's talent as an artist (along with the talents of his collaborators).

I think it's fair to say that this particular story has given rise to an unusual number of good films, including "Tombstone" and "Wyatt Earp" (both of which I do like!). But MDC rises above them all as one of the great Hollywood masterpieces, despite or perhaps because of its deliberate myth-making. The scene of the church dedication, in which Earp takes the (fictional) Clementine to an open-air Sunday service, is, for its lyrical eloquence and visual beauty, perhaps the single greatest sequence in the American cinema. Nothing in any of the other versions of the story can compare with it for that scene alone, which has more to say about the history of the Western frontier than any number of historically faithful documentaries.
Rich

Sheldon..You're right on buttressing the fact that Ford arguably was the West's greatest cinematic poet. I don't know but as I get older I love his pictures. I read in some cinema criticism that with Ford if it comes down to printing "fact" or "legend" he'd print the "legend".

And John if you go and watch the Searchers, watch the movie carefully
just prior to the attack on the cabin. What colors do you see in the sky?
Ford is getting you ready for something......
Right Mixture !
Sapper Mason

Rolling Eyes ,
Dear Rich ( & others ) , i think you are getting to the nub of things now , a remake is viable of Zulu & Zulu Dawn in todays climate , even taking into consideration that the ANC has a new man at the helm , the political climate as ever changes almost daily it seems . I believe Mr Zuma is of the ZULU and who knows what views he holds on such a project as this ? , many things to consider it would appear ! .

I am convinced that with the legion of knowledge we have these days combined with a better understanding of what happened in 1879 aligned with the monetary position and costumes available today with i believe costume historians available a pretty accurate film i reckon is waiting to be produced , is it to much to combine Zulu Dawn with Zulu and call it " Jan 22 1879 " ? or some such name .

When a remake is shown it is always lined up against the ORIGINAL and for what reason ( s ) , accuracy combined with drama as i see it . As the remake of the ALAMO was shot in the dark this was cedence to the actual time of day / night the attack took place , the 1960 version was as we know portrayed in daylight . Film buffs will always compare the ORIGINAL alongside the remake for all sorts of reasons .

As Mike Snook pointed out it has been 43 years since Zulu came out and yes Zulu Dawn paled against the Baker film so lets persuade the film moguls that there is mileage in making these two films again , i am sure if handled correctly we would get a marvelous film and something towards my " beef " ACCURACY ! , let`s take time out and have a cracking Christmas and if you know a neighbour or someone ill or in hospital give them a little time as well , HAPPY Christmas to one & All , " Sapper " Wink Very Happy Shocked
leightarrant

Phew what a discussion and what interesting points everyone is making. Just a note from me, who, for a living makes films, albeit short and semi interesting ones about corporate companies and so on, but as a film maker, please remember that all you're interested in - is making a good film, movie, for art's sake, and of what will be of interest to the general public when viewing your film.and enjoy what they see, whatever you're making, and most importantly, can understand what they are watching. So, if someone said to me, go and shoot a new ZULU, here's the money, I would again set out to want to entertain the public (Because that's where the money lay in all generations of moviegoers) and secondly worry about how accurate my film would be, because....sadly, proper facts can sometimes be too boring, and to the public'e eye, not that important. Of course one would like to potray a film as best as possible to get the true facts laid out, but within a screenplay that looks good and matters to the financiers, and will eventually sell because you've included some good stars to help promote the film, even today, a new ZULU won't be as historically accurate as some historians would like. A new perpective would probably work (Say from the Zulu's side) but again, wouldn't nescessary be true to life as actual events. I think its great to watch cinema as a whole and digust the many interpretations of the same subjects, whether it be true or fiction, and embarass what the new film makers are doing, and enjoy....So many films spring to mind, but even films like OLIVER!....SCROOGE......FRANKENSTEIN.....just how many interpretations of these films are there, they can all be viewed and rated by so many generations of people, and on going arguments will always persist as to which is the better version, but in the end, does it really matter........?? Who cares...... So, my point being, if and when the new ZULU arrives, or ZULU DAWN for that matter, it would still be innaccurate historically, and therefore should be judged purely by its artistic merit in the hall of watchable cinema. Even films like STONED about Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones....was innacurate, but, nobody really cared (Except hard core Rolling Stones fans).....we'll always be able to read books if we want to know the real facts....Let cinema 'breath' and add new dimentions, and let our imaginations glow with what might have been.....if it stirs your imagination and interest, then a film has done its job, and that.......will please the financiers no end! Cinema will never change.

Have a good christmas...
Rich

leigh...thanks for reminding me..time to put on the 1951 version of "A Christmas Carol" with Alastair Sim which we watch every year. I think Alastair has got Dickens' curmudgeon down pat...... Wink...... merry christmas....
John Young

Sheldon,

Apologies, that's the problem after pulling an 18 hour shift, you can't read properly when you slump down in front of the computer!

There is no doubting Ford's cinematic artwork, but the next time he used the characters of Wyatt Earp & Doc Holliday in 1964 was hardly a great casting choice.

John Y.
mike snook 2

Sheldon

I'm afraid after typing for an hour my unreliable ISP which likes to crash my connection in sympathy with America getting into the office (and is consequently close to getting itself sacked from my service) did its usual trick and lost the whole lot. I'm afraid life's too short to go over it again.

I'm a historian and I'd quite like somebody to make a historically faithful action movie about the Defence of Rorke's Drift. Hasn't been done yet. Take my word for it.

Regards

Mike
Michael Boyle

Mike , that's twice in the last month! To avoid that in the future may I suggest composing your replies off-line in "note pad" (if using the Daemon Microsoft) or similar ASCII text programme and then 'select all', 'copy' and 'paste' into the 'Post A Reply' box?

Okay, let's put it this way - "I've got a 100% historically accurate script, a prop department with 100% accurate accoutrements and with all the stars you want, on location. Give me a hundred million (or a bit more for baksheesh) and I'll gar'on'tee ya at least one tenth of your money back...if we get the 60- 90 yr. old demographic in Madagascar". Any takers?

[The easiest thing in the world is to spend other people's money!]

Best

Michael
leightarrant

Okay guys - My last word on this.....Lets try and think hard about any film that anyone has ever seen, and that includes Europe, Hollywood, Elstree Studios, Pinewood, The Village Green, whatever (!) where the film has remained strictly authentic to actual events..............Now thats a hard one! The nearest I can think of has to be OPERATION DAYBREAK(1976) which, potrays the assasination of Heydrich almost down to a tee, from the true story 'Ten men at Daybreak' which is basically about the Czech resisitance in the 2nd world war, and, by far the most far fetched movie of an actual historical event probably has to be TITANIC (James Cameron)....Can anyone beat that!! Have a good one ........and yuletide greetings from a cold but sunny Sussex.
leightarrant

Rich - Probably 'SCROOGE' (1970) for me (!!) I also happen to like
Frankenstein - The true Story with Michael Sarrazin as the Creature. This 1972 version remains faithfull to the book, and even today remains quite creepy...
John Young

Leigh,

The 1946 Terence Young production of Their's is the Glory sticks to the actual events it portrays, and stars "The Survivors of the British 1st Airborne Division" battling to hold the bridge at Arnhem.

John Y.
Rich

OPERATION DAYBREAK!....you know I have been trying to get that film for years..I know it's on vhs but dvd I don't think so..One of the best "war" movies I've ever watched...After seeing that film, I think I tried to know and find out as much as I could about that whole operation which was controlled from Britain. A "sleeper" of a film if there ever was one....
John Young

Rich,

Christmas has come early for you it is on DVD from Amazon.com.

John Y.
Zulu film - Colour Sgt Bourne's medals