rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Coll

Sheldon

Seriously ?

Ian Knight would be the one who might know of such a project first, being an AZW expert.

Or, if the film-makers were also going for accuracy - Martin Everett at the museum.

Coll

PS. Gladiator is the better film.
Sheldon Hall

Coll,
Seriously what?
And no, "Gladiator" (which I still find very disappointing in view of its potential) is not the better film. So there!
Sheldon
Coll

Sheldon

Seriously, as in, Ian Knight happening to mention a remake to you.

I know a remake is always discussed, but the fact that an actual Zulu War historian, has said to yourself, being the author of a making of 'Zulu' book, does give the comment a bit more credibility.

Or, yet again, more wishful thinking on my part.

I've watched 'Spartacus' recently, and 'Gladiator' I saw last night.

I've got a book covering Spartacus, funnily enough, with a photograph of Kirk Douglas in a studio pose as the character.

Spartacus, I'm sure, wasn't crucified, but was killed on the battlefield. Confused

In the old(er) films, apart from those fighting in the foreground, they always appear to have a great deal of extras swinging swords about in the background, like they're swatting flies, or playing tennis fast-forward, but not actually fighting anyone, more just for effect.

I'd rather have fewer extras, with some decent fight choreography, so it looks as if they are actually engaged in combat, instead of using a sword, like a single windscreen wiper.

However, Sheldon, you are the expert ! Wink

Coll

PS. But I still prefer 'Gladiator' ! Laughing
Sheldon Hall

One of the reasons why you tend to notice background action more frequently in older movies is because recent ones tend to use longer focal-length lenses, which have a shallow depth of field, rendering the background blurred; they also use faster editing and more close-ups (all of which I hate!). But the kind of generalised weapon-swinging you're talking about is equally visible in "Zulu"...

The crucifixion of Spartacus is a bit of creative licence: he is condemned to be crucified 'unofficially' and his body buried in secret so as not to create a martyr out of him. In other words, the film embroiders the reality without contradicting it. Much like "Zulu" with the final salute!

Ian is as susceptible to rumours as the rest of us - someone may have been pulling his leg. As I say, I await hard evidence.
Sheldon Hall

For the record, here is Ian Knight's reply to my query about the remake rumours (Ian told me he'd heard I was advising on it!):

"Rumours - no, nothing to it, I think. The story that you were advising on a remake came to me from SA from someone rather puzzled that he had heard nothing of such a venture. He had, presumably, heard it, Chinese-whisper style, from someone over here, perhaps ultimately from RDVC.com. I must admit I still generally trust to the fact that I would hear of any new films one way or another, simply because they would have to involve people on-site - and I'd either be approached, or my rivals would be crowing that I was excluded! In fact nothing has reached me but the same old stories going round and round..."

Sorry!
GlennWade

This is interesting!

I wouldn't find it hard to believe that, considering that this is easily the No.1 AZW site on the web, that someone has read the posts with people such as Coll and I attempting screenplays, noticed Mike and Sheldon among the posters then put 2 + 2 together then come up with 5. Shocked

I'm sure if any serious project was embarked upon, Ian's name would be the first that any researcher would come upon and he'd know before most in the AZW community.

Glenn

Sapper Mason

Sad ,
Well it had to happen i guess , Chinese Whispers and Rumour Central getting together and end result ? " NEW ZULU WAR FILM SOON TO BE MADE ! " , until i see it in black and white and confirmed i would want to assign this in what is oftened termed " FILE 13 " where it belongs ! , already we have had some " assigning " tasks to potential contributors to a film ( s ) of 1879 . In many eyes " Zulu " WAS and still is a classic , sadly " Zulu Dawn " was not , could you ever then make a " re-make " of the 1964 film i wonder ? . There are more than one who has knowledge of the Zulu War and if i were given a budget of $ 50 million to make a film ( s ) of this nature i would want every possible input i could gather for as many contributors as possible , the PR section of this gathering would be many i reckon ! . I would hope the SWB Museum would be consulted in any future production ( s ) and those that make moving pictures if the Zulu War was viable in a future set / single film take a broader sweep and opinion in such a venture . Before this gargantuan project gets off the ground there is so much to take into consideration , lets hope the moguls who do these things get a fax telling them about this site as a starter , Mike Snook , Peter Ewart , John Young , Sheldon Hall to name but a few are the sort of people i would think worthy of contact should such a project come to life .

Yes we have a bias in this subject matter , look at last nights " TIMEWATCH " programme , a new look at something that happened in Normandy all those years ago , so it is not unreasonable to ponder at least something new about the events of 1879 and this might quell any further Chinese Whispers and fiction from Rumour Control , i hope something does come to life but i will stick with facts aligned with a sprinkle of fiction of course and see what the year brings , all the best , " Sapper " Wink
Coll

Sheldon

One of these days the rumour(s) will be true. Wink

I've read the caption beside Kirk Douglas's photograph, and it says Peter Ustinov, who played the owner of the Gladiator School, commented, that it took longer to make the film, than it did for the Romans to defeat Spartacus. Laughing

Coll
Rich

Coll me boy I hope I'm not misinterpreting you when it comes to "older" movies. he heh there are a "few" that have been done real well!!.... Wink

And thus we come to the "modern" ways of making movies which, of course, lends itself to improvements in CG, animation and lenses as Sheldon noted. However, I'd ask is techonology say in applying it to battle-scenes perhaps getting "too important" in determining whether a movie will be a gargantuan hit or not? Again with this supposed remake of Zulu or Zulu Dawn, would it be necessary to have heads lopped off or blood bursting forth from chests technologically to make the movie perhaps "better" than its predecessor? Sometimes I think technology is simply used because it's there. At times, I tell you I have ADD due to the film editor who puts in all those cuts, cuts, cuts that last maybe 1 miilisecond. The cells in my brain and eyes can't fire quickly enough to keep up with the frame!...Wink...Pretty soon they'll have to make glasses all film goers will need to wear to keep up with the movie!

And also just because something is a "war" movie doesn't have to emphasize the physical aspects of it to be great. The film "12'O'Clock for me is arguably one of the best "war" movies ever and there's not a drop of blood in it. Not to say the new Zulu and ZD can't have those physical aspects but I sure wouldn't want it to take over the film. But my hunch is the "technos" will take over and blood'll pour out of the screen like in Kubrick's "Shining"!
Realism / Accuracy ?
Sapper Mason

Cool ,
Dear Rich , Nice to read your comments once again . I often use the word ACCURACY in my contributions to this forum on a subject . I think there is mileage in films c 1879 but do the film producers ? . You talk about the " technos " taking over and to some degree i also agree with your comment. We have moved on a generation or so since " our " film of 1964 and attitudes and technology has changed so much in those 43 years , just look at flight , in 1903 a plane took off built by the Wright brothers , 63 years later we had a man on the moon , so i wonder what the next big step will be ? .

In the film world i use ACCURACY a lot but what about the word REALISM ? . In " Saving Pte Ryan " recall the scene where a soldier loses his arm and we then see him turn round and pick it up ! , quite accurate or realistic ? . Those first 20 minutes of the film show reality as i see it . Was the Mel Gibson film about the Passion Of CHRIST realistic as well as accurate ? .

When " Zulu " was made there was no slow motion or time lapse used , do you recall the shoot up in " The Wild Bunch " ? , very gory with fountains of blood when they robbed the bank and were ambushed , later on we see argueably the " best " shoot up when the four ageing cowboys have one hell of a gun fight , realistic or accurate ? .

I think we can absorb some of the available technology we have today in a film ( S ) of 1879 and could it be made as was " Band Of Brothers " in a series of stories ? . I have much to learn on the research front and i have my copy of the " Noble 24 th " and if another reprint comes along further glitches most likely will be ironed out , no book is going to be 100% but we can try towards this Rich. An example or two if you like , in the Noble 24 th it is indicated that the father in law of Henry JAMES DEGACHER is one Rev Gardner Harter whose daughter married the person just named , in fact his full name was George Gardner HARTER , yes a small point but none the less slightly more accurate . Also in the Noble 24th one Lt Curll later Hon Brig General is indicated by his mother who is shown as the widow of Gen Curll , now i don`t know this person but will it be indicated in a possible reprint of this fine book ? .

Marion Curll the mother of Lt Curll later remarried a Mr Greenwood , would this be indicated in a reprint or is this reality one step too much in a new book ? . The great debate is what to put in and what to leave out not only in a book but in a film as well .

Just as a matter of interest forum , do we know why the HITCHCOCK brothers as they were changed their name to DEGACHER ? . Was this to do with their place of birth or some other reason ? .

i hope common sense prevails Rich and we get the correct combination of realism , accuracy , drama and sensible script when it comes to a possible film ( s ) of " 1879 " , thanks again , " Sapper " Wink

Last edited by Sapper Mason on Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Peter Ewart

Sapper

Have responded to your query about Degacher's name with a new thread in the main topic section.

Peter
Rich

Sapper..You know I don't have a great big problem with "tech" per se but only when it becomes the "story" and really displaces the overall effect of what the film is trying to say. That''s why I didn't care for "300". I thought tech ran amok. But I'm coming from a philosophical view of what I think film should do. Tech can help but it can screw things up. That's what future film makers have to watch for I think.
Sheldon Hall

Sapper,

If you're going to use words like "realism" you'd better start defining your terms! It's a slippery concept at the best of times - even more than "accuracy". Realism can mean many things, including "truth to life" (a philosophical and ideological concept as well as a dramatic one!) and "believability" (which can involve all sorts of fakery to make something seem convincing), but these are neither synonymous nor mutually exclusive.

Take that severed arm incident in SAVING PRIVATE RYAN. By "accurate" I assume you mean whether such a thing could or did actually happen? (or do you...?) What then do you mean by "realistic": dramatically plausible? well staged, with convincing special effects? seems like it really happened? a combination of these? or something else again? Whether you know it or not, you're stepping into a critical and theoretical minefield (pun intended)...
tom

"in 1903 a plane took off built by the Wright brothers , 63 years later we had a man on the moon , so I wonder what the next big step will be ? ."
Sapper,
I think Neil Armstrong will be most upset to know someone was there 3 years before him! Smile Wink
Ravages Of Time ?
Sapper Mason

Confused ,
Tom , forgive my mathematical error ! , i can only assume my finger slipped on the numbers key combined with the ravages of time in recalling just when a man landed on the moon ! , thanks for pointing this out , apologies for this error in trying to make a point , " Sapper " Wink

Smile Rich , I can see your point entirely , when Zulu was made back in 1964 there was not the technology we have today . If a film were to be made today regarding the Zulu war how easy would it be to use " camera tricks " or " computer graphics " to an extent which would spoil the film entirely . In cricket we have the " other umpire " as we have in rugby for a disputed try , how did poor referees and umpires manage before this ? . Do you recall a film i believe was called " Ambrosia of The Gods " ? , the so called special effects were dire beyond belief , i am not sure when that film was made but i do recall it reminded me of films where they stuck fins on lizards , made them fight and called then " dinosaurs " . There is a place for technology , special effects in todays climate but lets not get carried away with too much techno stuff if a new film of the Zulu war was to be made , " Sapper " Wink

Sheldon:
Thanks for your input once again , in Pte Ryan i am sure such incidents as the severed arm scene did happen , that was realistic and accurate as i see it . Did they not show a special screening of the landings of D - DAY to an audience of veterans who actually took part ? , i seem to recall some found it so realistic and accurate they could not watch much more , correct me if wrong . I believe you can use the words ACCURATE and REALISTIC in the way i have , surely if a film is both accurate and realistic coupled with drama and a good story line that is the ingriedients of a good film ? .
What happened in the Tom Hanks film was as i saw it both accurate and realistic and i believe the opening 20 minutes of that film could argueably be considered the best portrayal of action in World War Two or D- Day to be precise.

Being an Ex- Sapper Sheldon i have been in a few minefields , having the right equipment and attitude saw me come out the other side intact in my time in the forces , i had utmost respect ( not to step on mines ) aligned with contempt at those who planted mine-fields as we are still under the influnce of these mines today . Just look at Angola for instance . I hope my response is understood ? , thanks " SAPPER " Wink
Zulu film - Colour Sgt Bourne's medals