rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Maps of South Africa
PRS

This is a request for help/advice please.

I am trying to find where I can obtain maps of "British" South Africa.
Apart from my great interest in the Zulu War I am also studying the Kafir Wars of the slightly earlier period.

I have current and recent maps of RSA but they do not show enough detail to follow campaign descriptions, movements, etc. Also, I guess some of the place, river, names may have changed in 200 years.

I would be most grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction to obtain maps which will better allow me to study in detail these campaigns.

Many thanks in advance.
PRS

PRS

In the absence of any other reply, might I suggest you contact the South African Chief Directorate: Surveys and Mapping, which can supply maps in 1:50,000 and 1:10,000. Both of these give considerable detail of what you might want to examine. If you use the smaller scale 1:250,000 maps, you will require only three of them to cover KwaZulu-Natal.

You might first visit their website at http://w3sli.wcape.gov.za/ for a closer look. I have found dealing with them by email extremely frrustrating and it is best tohave a South African contact if you wish to buy any. Perhaps a well-directed letter (snail mail) might be best.
KIS
RSA maps
PRS

keith

Thanks very much for this.
I will certainly give it a go.
regards

If you are able to get hold of a copy of Mackinnon & Shadbolt, there should be maps reproduced of the 1879 campaign.

Coll

PRS

This is a name that appeared beside a small section belonging to a larger map of South Africa in one of my AZW books.

Alexander Keith Johnson.

When I looked on the internet for details about him and the map, I found both. He has 2 maps of South Africa (maybe more) but 2 I know of anyway, as I was only curious.

However, one is from 1861, the other 1876.

Although I've no idea if they would be any good to you, they do give names of rivers, etc.

Pictures of the map(s) are included on a couple of the sites, that let you 'zoom in' to see specific details. This, at least, gives you a hint of what they contain, should they be what you require.

Coll
Maps of South Africa