rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Colonel Hugh Rowlands
William Seymour

Could any member recommend a good photo of Colonel Hugh Rowlands or better still post one on this site.
Many thanks
JK
Peter Ewart

John

There are some good ones in W A Williams: Commandant of the Transvaal - The Life & Career of General Sir Hugh Rowlands (2001). It would probably be easier for you to pop in and pick it up or for me to drop it round, as I'm sure it would take me a week to work out how to post any photos here! (Unless anyone else who has it manages to do so first).

There are a couple of interesting chapters on his Sekhukhune campaign.

P.
John Young

There's a poor image of him on the forum: http://www.rorkesdriftvc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=395

I've got a couple of other images of him at home, but I'm going to be late off tonight so it might be tomorrow before I can post them.

John Y.
William Seymour

Peter
I did not realise that he had reached the exhaulted heights of General...my apologies!
I will call you next week to pop round and borrow the book and also the WW1 details that you have unearthed..... Wink
For those of you who are interested, or can correct me, I believe that the Stanley in 'Doctor Livingstone, I believe" was also a Rowlands.
Open season on JK is now open!!
JK
Michael Boyle

John

Indeed he was, born John Rowlands, though due the marital status of his parents the name didn't stick. Not sure how well known his story is now but this Welshman emigrated to the States just in time for the ACW. He served first with the Confederacy, was captured, switched to the Union Army, deserted, then joined the US Navy, didn't take, deserted again and then settled on being a journalist. Of course he then did some work for Belgium before ending up back in Britain and getting his GCB. His great grandson, Richard Stanley, is a somewhat renowned (he's only in his 40s) up and coming filmmaker (born in South Africa).

Best

Michael
Book
Sapper Mason

Smile ,
Dear John Keighley ,
If required i can give you the address of the author with regard the book on Sir Hugh Rowlands , i have as copy myself and the author is the well known researcher , Alister Williams , if you want contact me on a PRIVATE message for the address , " Sapper " . Wink
Colonel Hugh Rowlands