rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Colonel Henry Charles Harford CBE
Keith Smith

I have just received notice of this new biography of 'Charlie' Harford, based upon all his original diaries etc., with many original drawings and photographs. This will hopefully extend our knowledge of him, which has hitherto been based on his Zulu War Journal as edited by Daphne Child.

I was particularly struck by a reference in the 'blurb' to the fact that he was given custody of Higginson and Stephenson as deserters after Isandlwana.

My information came from the Anglo-Zulu War Historical Society but it is published by a company called Ultimatum Tree Ltd. Cost is �65 + p & P. Author David Payne made a brief post about it under the thread New Books recently.

KIS
Peter Ewart

John Keighley and I picked up a flyer about this book last month at an AZW w/end at a remote pub in Kent, where Ian Knight was on hand for a chat. It was only some time later that I looked at it properly and realised it was nothing to do with the existing Daphne Child publication.

The claims for this new one are quite strong and, if accurate, the book will reveal plenty that is new (I presume this means new about the AZW?) and will also fill in considerably on his early and later long life. The illustrations, too, come very strongly recommended. It is apparently due out around April, and full details can be seen on the "AZWRS Review site" (of previous renown here!) although the anonymous "review" shown there is actually the text of the publishers'/compilers' publicity sheets, together with some shorter "plugs." It comes highly recommended by Adrian Greaves (its editor) and Ian Knight.

I'm assuming there is plenty of additional text as David & Emma Payne are described as "the authors", although I can only see references to transcribing, collating & research on their part, unless I've missed something. The work is described as a special edition limited to 1250 copies, which actually seems quite a large run for a book of this sort.

Like Keith, I also noticed the statement about Lonsdale giving Harford custody of the "deserters" Higginson and Stephenson, which is not elaborated upon other than mentioning Harford's discomfort!

Not at all cheap - but potentially a "must have" for many of us?

Peter
David Payne

I have just received notification from the printers that delivery to me will be on May 9th 2008. Those of you who have ordered the book will be receiving delivery shortly after.

David
David Glynne Fox

Hi all,
I recently saw some proofs for the Harford book and it looks most promising. I await my copy with much anticipation.
David

Hi all

The books arrived yesterday and we are now waiting for the dust jackets.

Arrangements are being made to get the books signed for those who requested. Once the dust jackets have been received and books signed they will be immediately despatched.

For those who did not want the books signed they will be immediately despatched upon receipt of the dust jackets.

Thank you all for your patience.

David
AMB

David,

Do we have a revised expected delivery date?

Regards,

AMB
David Payne

AMB

The books are here - the dust jackets, I have been told they will be with me in 7 days time.

For those who do not want the book signed they will then be sent.

I am organising a meeting with Charlie Harford's grandaughter to get the books signed for those who requested, and then they will be sent.

Thanks for your patience.

David
AMB

David,

These things take time. Good things come to those who wait!

I look fwd to receiving my book when it's ready.

Regards,

AMB
Andrew Bush

Can some one please advise of how to purchase a signed book

Kind regards,

Andrew

Dear Members,

The Writings, Photographs & Sketches of Henry Charles Harford CB, is also for sale on E-Bay. The link below will redirect you to the relevant page.

David

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Zulu-War-Book-Released-May-2008-H-C-Harford-CB_W0QQitemZ170219952399QQihZ007QQcategoryZ27324QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247
Martin Everett

I am not sure who started this thread - but CBE - Commander of the Order of The British Empire was introduced in 1918.

CB - Companion of the Order of the Bath was awarded to Harford in 1907.

Keith Smith

Martin

I began this thread and the heading I used is taken directly from the leaflet I received. The title of the book was quoted exactly as I wrote it.

KIS
David Glynne Fox

Just received my signed copy of Harford. I have not had a chance to read it yet but have given it a perusal and it looks to be everything I hoped it would be. Very well produced and packed with new illustrations. It is not a reappraisal of the Anglo Zulu War so the text, the bits I have read, are also new. Not entirely surprising as much of it comes from recently discovered documents. Well done David and Emma Payne. Now then, where's my cup of coffee and I'll settle down to Harford. Like David Rattray, I too am a serious entomologist and also have had a long affinity with Harford. David would have enjoyed this I am sure.
Regards to all
david

My copy arrived yesterday. Well produced, I am very impressed. Like David, I'll now settle down with a brew to read it.

AMB
peterw

FAO David Payne

As you will see from this thread:

http://www.rorkesdriftvc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1406

I have been attempting - without success - to confirm the identity of Elizabeth Hogan who is associated with the website The Anglo Zulu War Research Society. You are a Director of The Anglo Zulu War Research Society Limited. I assume the two are linked?

If you could shed any light on the identity of Elizabeth Hogan I would be grateful, as would a number of other contributors to the thread above.

As the joint author of Harford you will no doubt have been pleased that the AZWRS's anonymous reviewer awarded the book the maximum five shields.

Peter
Colonel Henry Charles Harford CBE