rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Peter O'toole's Helmet
tom

Coll

Tom

Thanks for letting me know.

What a cracking recognisable item from 'Zulu Dawn', would be an inspiration to have it sitting, pride of place, on my desk.

Sadly, I'm unable to afford it. Sad

I hope someone from the forum manages to obtain it.

It's too good an item to miss out on.

Coll
peterw

Is it recognisable or is it just the same pattern of hat?

If bidding - which I am not - I would be inclined to pay the cost of a similar used hat plus a percentage - say 30-50% more.

Be interesting to see what it goes for.

Mind you, some people are prepared to pay stupid money for items allegedly dug up at Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift.

Peter
Coll

I've never really considered getting any memorabilia from 'Zulu Dawn', even though I keep saying how much I like the film.

The availability of this helmet (if it is what it says it is) makes me wonder why I've never tried to obtain anything before.

However, I'm not sure how many items, of reasonable quality, have been around, specifically from this film.

If this was Peter O'Toole's helmet from it, I guess it would be one of the best items to acquire for an AZW enthusiast and fan of 'Zulu Dawn'.

Coll
AMB

In the early 1990s the hotel bar in Babanago used to have an impressive collection of Zulu Dawn items, incl wpns and uniform jkts. All had gone by the time of my next visit a couple of years ago. One wonders where it all went!

AMB

Last edited by AMB on Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Coll

I saw the price that it went for, which would have been impossible to outbid, especially so near Christmas.

Someone is very lucky.

Coll
peterw

Coll

Unless someone knows otherwise, how can anyone be sure it is THE helmet? Some might remember the very distressing tale of fake items purporting to come from Zulu?

It may be the real deal, it may not. �261 is a lot to pay for "may"........

Peter
Coll

Peter

You're right. I guess that is the main reason I never bothered trying to obtain anything previously, from 'Zulu' or 'Zulu Dawn'.

However, it would have been a nice item, were it what is says.

I'd have liked it myself, as I don't think there was anything else I would get from the film, that belonged to one of the main actors, or from the main scenes.

Unless, Burt Lancaster's hat, or possibly the flag (which itself looked quite flimsy)

Doubt they'd ever surface. (the actual ones that is)

Coll
Jeff Dickinson

Coll, if you get a chance please drop me an email or private message with your email. I have some information and a few pictures that I think would be of interest to you. Regards, Jeff
Coll

Thanks Jeff

I'm very interested in what you said in your posting.

I am having a bit of trouble with the private messages facility on my computer, which may also be affecting my e-mailing.

Although, I do appear to be able to post here okay.

I'd really like to know more.

Thanks again.

Coll
Jeff Dickinson

Hi Coll, no problem. Drop me a note when you are up and running again and I'll send you the file straight away. All the Best, Jeff
Coll

Jeff

That'll be great. I've not used the e-mailing facility outside of this forum, so I could be worrying needlessly. The private messages I've been sent on this site, have been identified as pop-ups by my computer, and I don't know why, although I still can read them Confused

It's more concern that people who e-mail me offsite, might develop the same problem.

Alan could possibly kindly send you my details, but then I'd still be worried for the reason(s) mentioned above.

Is there any chance you could please supply some more details here, to give an idea what the file contains ?

I'll understand if you don't wish to.

Thank you

Coll
Alan
Site Admin

Alternatively, Jeff could send to me and I'll forward to you Coll.

Hi Coll, I have a hand full of pictures and about a page of text for you. Additionally since my first post to you I've put together a packet of information on Col. Patterson and some of the events at Tsavo I think you might like. Unfortunately I don't have those electronically on my computer but I certainly wouldn't mind sending them off to you by regular mail if you wish. I can send the whole lot by mail to you or to Alan for forwarding to you or what ever you like , just let me know.

Alan, thank you for your help as well. I also sent you off an email directly.

All the Best, Jeff
Coll

Jeff

This is extremely kind of you.

If I could ask (with Alan's permission) if you please send all the information by regular post to him, to forward to me, with details of costs, etc., as I can't maintain contact through e-mailing.

Alan - Is that okay with you ? I will be writing you a letter within the next week or so through normal post about a couple of matters.

Several things appear to be gradually shutting-down on my computer, and I may be offline for quite a while soon.

Thanks to you both.

Your assistance is very much appreciated.

Coll
Peter O'toole's Helmet