rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
rich

Julian....

I know that at the time all that was occurring things were going on pretty quickly. But how do you look at Pulleine's behavior in all that especially with Cavaye's disposition? Couldn't he have spoken up and questioned Durnford if he had reservations? Or are we looking at the vagaries of an army's command and control under a very soon to be trying situation?

Pulleine's behaviour is basically between the devil and the deep blue sea. We do know that he questioned Durnford's wanting a couple of companies to accompany the NNH, and thanks to Melvill, that idea was quashed. Perhaps he felt he'd gone far enough and that Cavaye's disposition was a questioning too far...or perhaps he thought the Cavaye posting was a sensible move - it was, wasn't it?
Sawubona

As I understand it (and I may be completely in left field here), Durnford doesn't have the authority to directly command any of Pulleine's troops to do anything whatsoever, regardless of seniority or rank. By the same token, Chelmsford cannot give direct orders to the companies of the 24th or for that matter any units of the Central Column. Only Glynn can do that and Glynn understandably feels left out of the loop so to speak because Chelmsford is constantly end running proper channels. Durnford and Chelmsford can only give orders to the officers in command of the respective units (or at least make their wishes known) and the officers commanding those units must actually issue the orders. Am I misunderstanding this relationship entirely?
rich

You know in looking at the command relationship between Pulleine and Durnford I'd think it would be interesting to suppose what was uppermost on their minds when interacting and reacting to the oncoming Zulu threat.
Pulline's I know was the mantra "defend the camp, defend the camp". (that's why I'm sure he didn't have a problem with the positioning of Cavaye since the co's role does "defend the camp")) I'm very sure that that phrase was top of mind in his head and completely guided his behavior in those hours and minutes before the onslaught. Now with Durnford I'm afraid I just can't get a handle on his overall command mindset other than "doing his thing" apparently worried about the threat to Chelmsford. Funny thing about an issue about "dual" command....it could lend itself to problems and disaster. History saw it Cannae where the Roman generals alternated their commands on each day. Apparently good for the generals but not for a slaughtered army on one ancient afternoon.