rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
What no gin
Carl Daeche

Hi Neil,

I have been assured that as we are seeing in the new year we can drink all the good gin. Rob assures me that you cannot tell the good stuff from the local moonshine in any case......

Counting the days

Carl
Peter Ewart

Just smile, Rich, and your sense of humour will get you through! Paul Marais, whom some of you will know, told me he would drink with his African friends in bars in Johannesburg and happily leave his car unlocked outside. That's more or less how I muddle through here.

You'll be fine Carl, as I doubt that Jo'burg or elsewhere can show you anything you haven't already seen on "Planet Thanet." (There's even a Ramsgate and Margate further down the coast to make you feel at home!)

P.
Sawubona

A few tips maybe... Buy and wear a cheap watch; don't flash "bling" (no gold chains or diamond tie pins), always carry some cash in your wallet to "buy" off thieves, but not your passport; carry an emergency stash of ching in your shoe or a money belt; be particularly wary at night and know the areas not to go into. I guess most practical travel tips are pretty obvious when one keeps in mind the fact that the murder rate in SA is the highest in the world (Over 50 homicides a day last I looked!) That being said, the people of South Africa are the most friendly, kind, and generous people I've ever had the pleasure to meet. And learn a few phrases in Zulu, Xhosa, and Afrikaans (at least)-- start with "Thank You!"
Neil Aspinshaw

Carl
The local moonshine is a mixture of yeast and battery acid!, the local lingo is to get Dagiwe!, hey Its christmas... lets go do it.

Rich
In rural Zululand the locals can intimidate you, but not in the threatening type of way. The problem is swarms of kids, all wanting a few rand or a bag of sweets (candies across the pond). I Live and work in Nottingham, there are many parts of my home town I would feel more intimdated in than walking in Zululand. The norm is a quick lift of an arm say "yebbo" and the locals will give a smile a wave and walk on by.

When we were at Myers Drift on the Intombe lthis year there was a large group of kids swimming in the river, when they saw us they all ran like the clappers to the drift, we all thought.. hey up problems here... they all posed and re-enacted throwing assegais at us, so what did we do?, play back as redcoats. The kids shrieked with laughter, dived on the floor playing dead and then ran of to their mates smiling and waving.

Just have your wits about you, don't carry any particular valuables or much cash.. as you don't need it. Does this look like the normal advice in any holiday brochure?, you bet because thats what it is.

Roll on Jan

OK, my friends, I got it and I'll be ready for the adventures when I get the chance to make my longed-for pilgrimage. One day.
Zululand 2007
Carl Daeche

Wow

Thanks to all of you who passed on advice and guidance I had simply the best time.

A few tips for those on their way.

Visit the following.

Killie Campbell collection in Durban (by appt) - excellent for zulu history
Old Court House Museum in Durban - Cetewayo staff and zulu history
MOTH Museum in Durban - check opening times. Henry Luggs hat and lancers belt?. A REAL ammunition box and various weapons and uniform examples.

To all who are going enjoy and try a steelworks if staying in Durban

Oh and don't forget Fugitives Drift Lodge - the best place to stay on the planet!
Do consider chartering a helicopter. Cheap and what a view...... you arrived fresh and ready to explore.

One last and obvious tip - carry all your treasures home in your hand luggage. I have only just got my suitcase back.
Zululand visit
Robert John

Carl,

Glad to hear you had a wonderful time --- it's a beautiful country, isn't it?
I had the same trouble with the suitcases---they arrived three days after I had returned.

All the best

Robert

Carl,

Glad all went well. When are you going back?!

AMB
Carl Daeche

amb

As soon as I can........... it is truly heaven on earth. Even if you strip away the connection with AZW Fugitives Drift and its environs are magical.

You going soon?

Carl
AMB

Carl,

Maybe. I like to go to Zululand every few years or so, so a rtn trip is due!

AMB
Visit to Zululand Christmas 2007