rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Durnford's Last Stand
peterw

While leafing through various sources for details of the Isandlwana memorials, I came across the reference to Durnford's last stand by Norris Newman and the difficulty of identifying the deceased.

Other than Durnford, NN notes that only two other officers were recognisable - Lts Gibson and Vereker of the NNC. I'm not clear from the narrative whether Vereker and Gibson were with Durnford, or discovered elsewhere.

Does anyone know?

Thanks

Peter
Coll

Peter

I've read Norris Newman's account, but the way it was written, gave me the impression Vereker and Gibson were found in a different location.

From what I've read, I understand that Vereker had been on foot with the native units to the North of the camp, possibly too far away to have managed to reach Durnford's stand, when the line collapsed.

Coll
Coll

Peter

There was mention in another account, I don't know by whom, that Vereker's body was located on the Buffalo-side of the mountain/nek.

I'm wondering if this then means he was on or near the Fugitives' Trail.

I'll try to find who wrote the details, unless someone else knows.

Coll
peterw

By happy coincidence I have just rediscovered Volume 7, Issue 2 of the AZWRS Journal, which contains an article on Charles Raw written by Paul Raw.

Vereker is mentioned on on several accounts, including the story of him dismounting and returning a horse to a native of the Natal Native Horse, a gesture that cost Vereker his life. There is also an unsubstantiated story that "Vereker was slung across the saddle of Raw's horse in a rescue attempt but then Vereker was shot."

Later, "Vereker was found in the heap of men who had died with Durnford."

Peter
Coll

Peter

Thanks for that, as it matches in with something else I read.

Apparently, Lt. Raw had first supplied Vereker with the riderless horse before it was claimed by an N.N.H. man.

If Raw had then witnessed Vereker dismounting and on foot again, may indeed have given him a lift, trying to get further south from their position in the north.

This would have closed the distance between their previous position and Durnford's.

Coll
Peter Ewart

Peter

I don't have Vol 7 (2). Presumably the source for the above story in the article on Raw was a subsequent (oral?) account by Raw himself, or does the author not say?

Peter
peterw

Peter

The source on both counts is not stated. The article reproduces Raw's written account to Major Grenfell in February 1879 but Vereker is not mentioned.

So, who said (or wrote) it, when and to whom?

Peter
Durnford's Last Stand