rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Horsemanship - Training And Tactics Instruction
Coll

Is there an instruction book covering military/irregular horsemanship techniques used during the Zulu War, covering the likes of vedette duty, scouting, advancing in line, the charge, fighting withdrawal, etc., etc. ?

This would be more for mounted infantry and irregulars, rather than lancers.

Thanks

Coll
diagralex

Coll

Try "Small Wars" by Colonel C.E.Callwell. He discusses all types of military activities including the use of cavalry.

Graham
Coll

Graham

Many thanks.

I was interested to find out about such a book, after watching a documentary about Gettysburg, particularly when it discussed Gen. Buford's unit movements and tactics, which rather than acting as cavalry, was used more as mounted infantry.

Apparently this method was something quite new, being a sort of rapid response force, able to deploy quickly in order to 'hold' the approaching enemy advance on his position.

Thanks again

Coll
Sawubona

Coll, I was lucky enough to have acquired a copy of a pamphlet printed in Capetown in 1878 and issued to the irregular Mounted Infantry units immediately before the Invasion entitled "Regulations for the Instruction and Movements of Mounted Rifles". It was issued "by order, W. Bellairs, Col, D.A.G." and "received the approval of His Excellency the Lieut.-General Commanding in South Africa". Sound like something you'd be interested in seeing? I've already scanned it, so if you or anyone else might like to take a look at it, it's only a couple of mouse clicks away from your email "Inbox". Drop me a PM with your email address. Sadly, I've no idea how to post JPG's on this site Confused
Coll

Sawubona

Thanks for your kind offer.

However, there is a chance, only if you agreed, that Alan could add such info to the Pot Pourri section if you e-mailed it to him.

Coll
Alan
Site Admin

Coll,
you only need to ask.

Thanks Alan

It really depends on what Sawubona wants to do.

Coll
Galloglas

Coll,

I could not be sure from their website http://www.military-naval-history.co.uk/index.htm but it's possible that DP&G Boks might now have something that could help.

See also the Naval and Military Press website which occasionally reproduces things but has so far provided not much of this type and content from the period of interest to us all.

G
Coll

Galloglas

Thanks for the link.

Horsemanship and tactics used by Colonial units, probably were learned from a young age, father-to-son, perhaps having no written word on the methods, as it was 'always known to them', through the teaching of family.

I have thought that maybe there is a book(s) covering such aspects, from the Boer War and the Boer Commandoes themselves, their organisation and fighting techniques.

I'll leave as is and find out later.

Thanks again

Coll
Galloglas

I conjecture, but practice may well have followed that of the 1859-1860 UK Volunteer Regulations thence those for the Yeomanry. The Natal Mounted Police regulations may also be discoverable.

But, and by hiring and employing ex-Regular Army instructors, much established practice would have arisen from 'show and tell' live instruction and with variations to suit local circumstances (weaponry, harness, type of mount, unit structures and command and rank structures, terms and conditions of service, etc). So, you could easily obtain 'drill books' but then face a situation where these had never actually been taken into use. Largely, perhaps, because there was very little likelihood of these units ever being brigaded or paraded with regular units. So, they only needed to learn enough drill to parade for routine purposes, in a column order of march with others, and to conduct elementary fire and manoeuvre when supported by others.

The practices of Boer units would be those required by their commanders with only uniformed permanent units like the Staatsartillerie and their derivative bodies following conventional drills. Probably following variations of some French or even German practice.

So, might be worth keeping your money in your pocket.

G
Haydn Jones

Galloglas/Coll

Just to reinforce your point about employment of ex- Regular Army instructors, and to add an amusing aside which Coll might appreciate, I came across the following from H C Lugg's, A Natal Family Looks Back while looking up something for another thread.

Lugg explains how the Zululand Mounted Rifles (formed at the beginning of the [20th] century) comprised men from all parts of Zululand "most of whom could ride and shoot". Their, "first parade was held under an instructor from the Imperial Army." whereupon, "The men were drawn up in lines with orders to gallop at full speed down a slope and to pull up smartly at a spot indicated by a single horseman posted there. The charge, a movement the men were performing for the first time, was undertaken with great enthusiasm, the galloping horsemen descending on the solitary one like a thunder cloud, but he, having serious doubts as to their ability to pull up sharp on reaching him, decided as they approached, that safety lay in flight, and putting spurs to his horse made a bolt for it. After order had been restored the unfortunate one was paraded before the regiment for a dressing down, only to be informed, however, and much to his relief, that he had won the race."

Shades of that scene in "Zulu Dawn" perhaps?

H
Coll

Haydn

Very good. Liked it much. Laughing

Coll
Andrew Bailey

Sawubona

I noticed that you had a scanned copy of the "Regulations for the Instruction and Movements of Mounted Rifles" and that you were happy to email this out. Does your generous offer still stand?

Feel free to PM me!

Regards

Andrew
Horsemanship - Training And Tactics Instruction