rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Glamorgan Family History Society Open Day
AMB

All, The following is from the Barry and District News.

Zulu connection for Vale Heritage Centre Coalition

12:20pm Tuesday 19th October 2010

THE Vale Heritage Centre Coalition joined forces with the Western Front Association last Saturday to bring a military flavour to the Glamorgan Family History Society Open Day at Llantrisant Leisure Centre.

Members of both groups were on hand to assist visitors with their family history research.

The South Wales Branch of the WFA showed artefacts and weapons from the First World War and VHCC chairman Dr Jonathan Hicks staged an exhibition of artefacts and illustrations of the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879.

On show was a replica Martini-Henry rifle � a film prop used in the movie �Zulu Dawn�.

Dr Hicks said: "I was lucky enough to meet relatives of several members of the famous defence of Rorke�s Drift (which was the inspiration for Stanley Baker�s 1965 film �Zulu�) including a lady who thought she may be related to Private John Waters who spent some of the battle hiding in a wardrobe wearing the former occupant�s black coat!

"It was an excellent day and we received much support for our campaign for a heritage centre for the Vale of Glamorgan."

Further details of VHCC can be found on their website at: www.glamorganheritage.org

AMB
peterw

I thought the name Hicks was familiar and he is the author of A Solemn Mockery. I don't have the book.

Peter
Phil Pearce

As I live a short drive from Llantisant shame i missed that one . Funny how it wasn't mentioned in the Glamorgan gazette which services this area ???
Glamorgan Family History Society Open Day