rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Sevice of Remembrance and Re-dedication
Phil Pearce

Hi just a note to say that the service of Remembrance and Re- dedication at St martins in the fields church Yesterday afternoon went well a good mix of pomp and friendship.
In the congregation was T.R.H The Prince of Wales and the duchess of cornwall, Several of the Chelsea pesioners, Johnson beharry V.C, Corporal Mark Donaldson V.C Mr.Jim Beaton G.C ,CVO JP the chairman of the V.C & G.C Association, & MR. Peter Sandys -Clark the grandson of Leiutenant W.A Sandys clarke the latter three all doing readings. The trumpeters for the opening royal fanfare that heralded the entrance of the royal prossession of church officials And the Royal couple were provided by the Regimental band of the Coldstream Guards as was the Bugler who played the last post and Reveille.
Other readings were by,Rev Nicholas Holtam, Rev. Scott brown And Monsignor Paul owens. However I must say that the arrangement of the Lords Prayer Performed by David Fanshawe was quite a highlight and if it had not been a church and inapproropriate to do so i would have given a round of applause !!

Last edited by Phil Pearce on Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Re: Sevice of Remembrance and Re-dedication
Kiwi Sapper

Location: Middle Earth & Home of Narnia; (Auckland, New Zealand)
Phil Pearce wrote:
..................................... However I must say that the arrangement of the Lords Prayer Performed by David Fanshawe was quite a highlight and if it had not been a church and inapproropriate to do so I would have given a round of applause !!

From the depths of my memory banks, I dredged out a memory that if the parishioners at the end of a sermon wished to express their satisfaction, the accepted means was by way of coughing.

1.........Am I correct?

2.........Did you indulge?

It was a confusion of ideas between him and one of the lions he was hunting in Kenya that had caused A. B. Spottsworth to make the obituary column. He thought the lion was dead, and the lion thought it wasn't.
Phil Pearce

I am a non conformist so no idea about the coughing . If that is the way of showing dissapproval I assure you there was no need to do so on my behalf . Although there was a cough and an audable "sorry" from the front row of the congregation ...who knows . In non conformist churches a cough usually means get to the point as this is going on a bit too long . However the cough I heard was not at the end of a semon .
Sevice of Remembrance and Re-dedication