rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Cpl. Jessy H. Mayer 1/3 NNC RD Defender and One Tough Hombre
Michael Boyle

I know he was one of the hospital patients who survived the defence but I was hoping to learn more about him. By rights, given the lack of blood transfusion ability at the time it would appear he shouldn't have survived his initial wound let alone the repeated bleed-outs he subsequently suffered. It is fascinating what the rare human body is capable of especially in the face of such adversity as he was subjected to. I came across a medical treatise on his condition -

http://books.google.com/books?I'd=HXwFAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA825&dq=natal+native+contingent&a#PPA826,M1

which absolutely floored me! (Ligature of the femoral means, in this case, tying off the major artery of his leg which would have resulted in complete tissue death below that point, infection (the cutter had no antiseptics because the Zulus apparently drank them all at Isandhlwana or burned them up at RD) and amputation of his leg would have been the good news. Having read much on surgical procedures during the ACW it's good to see how much difference a decade and a half made in enabling soldiers to survive. ((If you scroll around the above link you can read the reports on others who were wounded at RD, Isandhlwana, other A-ZW venues and the First (actually Second if you count the siege of Port Natal in 1842) A-BW)).

It would seem that Dr. D.B.Brown was one tough hombre too!

Best

Michael
Barbara Grant

Michael:

Apologies in advance for picking up on what might be a "minor" point, but what do you mean about the Zulus drinking antiseptics at Isandlwana?

I'm asking because I really don't know...not sure if this is a joke, but it sounds strange to me. (Of course, the Zulus might not have been expected to know the differences between "medicines" and "medicinal alcohol.") Just not sure what you're referring to.

Thanks and best,

Barbara
Peter Ewart

Barbara

As you know, when the victorious Zulu army looted the camp immediately after the battle, they either removed, destroyed or consumed much of what they found.

Some of the liquids they found and drank did them no good. There were reports by some of Chelmsford's returning reconnaissance party who camped amid the lost camp that night that one or two Zulus were found alive but much the worse for wear. Some were drunk, but some appear to have inadvertently poisoned themselves and were put out of their misery. I have an idea there may have been Zulu accounts of these mistakes too.

I'm not sure how many were reported to have succumbed in this way without looking through a number of detailed accounts, but I suspect this is what Michael had in mind.

Peter
Barbara Grant

Thanks, Peter, for the explanation. Glad I wasn't among them (the victorious Zulus, that is.)

Barbara
Michael Boyle

Barbara, Peter is spot on although you're right, I did make light of it. There were reports that some warriors even drank ink as well. They, the antiseptic (aside from carbolic acid) drinkers and the one's who lucked out with the booz were of course the fortunate ones. I've never really figured out why they did it but I suspect it was because they were absolutely parched after the battle and not carrying canteens or I guess calabashes and being too late to hit the water carts they imbibed any liquid they could find.

Best

Michael
Cpl. Jessy H. Mayer 1/3 NNC RD Defender and One Tough Hombre