rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
N/5 Brigade RA medal
sam steele

Hello Gents,

I have re-acquired a South Africa medal to 246 Gunner Alfred Hales of N/5 Brigade, Royal Artillery. I paid $350 for it the first time around in 1989 (then sold it), and wondered if some kind persons would like to share their thoughts on its present value.

The Service records that are with the medal have some info on a possible Isandhlwana survivor that I'd like to pass on to Julian Whybra, if I may.

Cheers,

Bill
Further info on N/5 BDE. RA
sam steele

Sorry Gents...I left out some bits !

Gunner Hales had the bar, "1877-8-9" and was "probably" with Lord Chelmsford for the march out of Isandhlwana that fateful morning.

His N/5 was known to have served at Ulundi. I'm awaiting further documentation. I do know that he was wounded at the Battle of the Ingogo River (Schuinshoogte) in February 1881, and invalided out of the RA in May of that year.

Ironically, two other N/5 men wounded at the Ingogo were Isandhlwana survivors - Hallaghan and Steer. Hallaghan died from his wounds received at the Ingogo.

Many thanks,

Bill
diagralex

Sam

Alfred Hales was wounded by a gunshot wound to his left forearm at Ingogo.
He was NOT an Isandlwana survivor, so must have been out with the advance party of Lord Chelmsford.

Regards Graham
Hallaghan....
sam steele

Thanks, Graham.

Yes..........at best, I could only hope that Hales was with Chelmsford's party that morning. Further research to be involved !

As an aside, Hallaghan (the most likely unverified Isandhlwana survivor) was also shot in the left forearm, as Gunner Hales. Hallaghan died of this wound (or resultant infection) 14 weeks later. His pay ceased the day after he died !

Cheers,

Bill
diagralex

That's Her Majesty's Treasury for you - There was no give or take a few days pay, it was calculated to the day !

Graham
N/5 Brigade RA medal